Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need help with DSLR settings

Hello, i've just ordered my DSLR-Telescope adapters and i've been wondering what settings i should use on my DSLR so i can capture planetary footage. Most people on youtube say that you should do video (for stacking reasons i assume), but video quality on DSLRS, isn't that good, so the question is, can you stack pictures taken in RAW? After all, videos are pictures rolled one after another, so burst mode would somewhat resemble it.  Clear skies, Ahgii.

DSLR video quality is amazing, films and TV have been recorded with them (Avengers, black swan, house, Dexter) so don't worry about the general quality of DSLR video.

A smaller sensor is likely better for the effective zoom, but I would stick with video for planetary imaging

Think about it this way, we use stacking to improve snr and image quality. Video takes pictures quicker than you can hit a shutter. I used to play with webcams and sharpcap but I'm no expert. Find a program that lets you import video from your DSLR and try it out.

Nick

Capturing video and than stacking is a better option if you want to use your DSLR. Simply the more frames you capture the better, especially on fast rotating planets like Jupiter.

Video will capture at at least 50 frames per second, unless you have a slow motion feature, than that would be better. Using your shutter will limit to how many frames you will capture, depending on which camera you use, 4fps-14fps for premium DSLRs..... But believe me you will shorten the life of your camera very fast if you try to use burst on planets... Shutter life is rated at 100,000 - 150,000 on most DSLRs and 200,000 on the better DSLRs, and in my experience the shutter dies well before that number...  I just changed a shutter in a mates DSLR that had about 18,000 photos taken, well before the 100,000 it was rated at... That took 10 hours...

To aDd to above I would capture around 40,000-50,000 frames in one night when planetary imaging, but I'm using a planetary CCD, imagine you go through 10,000 in one or two nights using burst, I'd say you'd be either pulling your camera apart to replace the shutter assembly or looking for a new camera within half a dozen sessions.... A dedicated planetary camera is much cheaper in the long run and will give you better quality results. ZWO120MC and Skyris cameras are awesome...check them out.

Video capture is a much better option for number of frames and life of your DSLR.

Agreed. The 'overhead' of capturing individual 1/50s RAW frames would mean that you would lose an enormous proportion of your imaging time.

You also have to consider (for Jupiter) the effect of rotation and not only need to capture a lot of frames, but capture them within a couple of minutes. Planetary imaging camera is the way to go.

Archived