Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

17.5mm Morpheus Review

BillP

Bill that has to be one of the most enjoyable and detailed reviews of an eyepiece that I have ever read. As you say we have been waiting for this EP to appear and it certainly sounds the wait has been worthwhile.

I also enjoy binoviewing especially on the Moon and Planets. I do worry that my nose may get in the way with larger EPs but the Morpheus appears to be ok.

Thanks again Bill for a truly excellent review.

Bill, how do you feel about the font / writing they have used to mark up the eyepiece?  I maybe wrong, it may look a lot better in the flesh. But to me it makes it look really low end budget, especially along side the classy Pentax. I realise the graphics used to label the eyepiece have no impact on eyepiece performance, its obviously a top draw item. I just curious why they chose such a garish graphic.

Superb review by the way, really enjoyable read.

Whatever paint they are using now really glows long.  My other ones have a white luminescent paint and those do not glow anywhere near as long or bright as the green lettering on the 17.5mm.  An improvement suggestion might be to just make the focal lengths in the green paint as the rest really does not need to be glow in the dark.  That way remaining text could be more elegant I suppose.  I'm waiting for the eyepieces that have a button so it talks to you saying its focal length ... imagine a star party where every time people reach for their eyepieces you hear the focal length chorus all night long from all the eyepieces speaking :happy11:

4 hours ago, doormij said:

Thanks W. Bill Paolini...

I have the APM 100mm ED APO, that's a F5.5 non flat refractor, edge sharpness could be a disappointment with the 17.5mm?

Garrett

It is not the focal ratio that defines the amount of filed curvature (FC) from the objectives, but the focal length.  So you have a 550mm focal length objective.  My scopes are 1200mm, 816mm.  My spotter scope is 390mm but it has built in field flattener.  So I did not test it in something as fast as what you describe.  I did just press a 500mm focal length 80mm scope back into service, so if clear tonight can give it a try to see how it works and let you know.

9 hours ago, doormij said:

Thanks W. Bill Paolini...

I have the APM 100mm ED APO, that's a F5.5 non flat refractor, edge sharpness could be a disappointment with the 17.5mm?

Garrett

Garrett,

Beautifully dark and clear here tonight so took out my Celestron Onyx, 80mm f/6.25, 500mm focal length.  So this optic, which is an FPL-53 doublet, should show more field curvature (FC) than your 100mm f/5.5.  I observed Sirius as the test case, then on to M42 (Iota to the cluster above 42 Ori was in the FOV so more than the entire Sword), then over to Pleiades.  Sirius at the field stop showed no astigmatism, and just a bit of a boated star from the FC present from the main optic.  Only too a little less than 1/4 turn of the focuser knob to bring it to pinpoint focus.  Moving on to M42, with that centered everything looked just great and no malformed star points.  Moving to M45 Pleiades, there was more than enough room to fit this in its entirety and all the star points beautiful.  So eyepiece put up beautiful view in a 500mm focal length optic.  I was not using any prisms in the light path; was using a Baader BBHS Silver mirror diagonal.  Your optic has a lot of prism path I presume being a binocular so that might impact things.  But for a conventional doublet ED Apo telescope with no prism path that has a focal length shorter than yours, views were quite beautiful with only minimal bloat to the round star point at the field stop.  Hope this helps.

-Bill

A great review Bill, thank you.

I've only owned/used one Morpheus so far, the 14mm and loved it. In fact I sold my XW14 in its' favour as it had so much less FC than the XW. I reluctantly let it (and other cherished items ) go to help finance my Tak FS128, but I fully intend to delve deep into Morpheus-World in the future!?

Thanks for the effort which clearly went into compiling this review Bill.?

At the price point I think Baader are really challenging TV at the premium end and I respect both companies as true innovators in pushing the limits of modern Astro optics upwards.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Used mine last night on a few objects, M57 and M13 looked very nice with plenty of pinpoint stars.   I imagine it would be a very nice ep to use with a short fl refractor. 

IMG_20180506_203131.jpg

• 2 months later...

Many thanks for posting this review Bill.  When I saw it was you who had written it I was delighted, as when I looked it up in your book on eyepieces and didn't find it I realised that the eyepiece wasn't available at the time the book was published.  I then found this review when I googled the eyepiece to find out more information about it!

I recently acquired a used ES David Levy Comet Hunter - the 152mm f4.8 Mak-Newt as I'm sure you're well aware.    Since then I've been looking around for a good wide field eyepiece more appropriate than the 24mm Hyperion I currently own.   If my calculations are correct it will give a mag of x42 and a field of 1.8 degrees which should suit the scope very well.  I was also very pleased with the true eye relief you measured for the eyepiece - I have astigmatism in both eyes and have to wear my glasses when I'm observing. 

After reading your review I'm pretty sure I've found the eyepiece that will meet my needs, thanks again Bill.

Archived