Exploring Mare Imbrium

David P Osborne

Took advantage last night of clear skies to put newly acquired BST EPs through their paces on some lunar viewing. Having looked up in my Cambridge Photographic Atlas and Gerald North Observing the Moon decided to spend some time exploring Mare Imbrium area. Started with the 25mm and then worked up to the 12mm and 9mm Myriad. Then x2 barlow with the 12mm and tried this with the 9mm but this was pushing it a bit far. So pretty much stayed with barlow and 12mm and the 9mm. Enjoyed great views of the surrounding ranges Alps, Appenines, Caucasus. Took in craters Plato, Archimedes, Autolycus, and Aristillus, then on to Eratosthenes and Copernicus the 12mm with barlow showing the central peaks well defined. Good views of Mons Pico and Piton. Also the Vallis Alpes - first time I have had a really good look at this (and to be honest that I was sure I had it!). The walls of Copernicus were throwing lovely shadows across the crater floor which could be discerned at the x200 of 12mm and barlow. I am fairly sure it was the Montes Jura I had in view in bottom right of EP view which were throwing some spectacular shadows. So continuing to be well impressed and delighted with the new acquisitions which are so much better than the stock EPs they replaced. I was also able to pick out some of the smaller craters (names escape me) on the Mare floor. All in all a very enjoyable hour and a half or more spent viewing our satellite. 

Very nice description of a particularly good lunar observing session last night. The walls within Copernicus which were highly accentuated were a core focal point among an expanse of mesmerising features. Cloud invaded my own session to become a short but stimulating period.  

Great report and like you I have bst eyepieces, they are great.  Just acquired an equinox refractor 120 ed and on the moon it's amazing. I have a Meade etx 125 and that was awesome but the frac definitely gives views to die for.  Like you I spent time tonight exploring Mare Imbruim area, Copernicus and Eratosthenes as well as archimedes.  The straight range looked great along with the Tenerife mountains and mons pick and piton.  

Archived