Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heart ic1805 in Ha

Magnus_e

So I started a while back on my first mosaic Soul to Heart nebula.

With this weather I'm not sure that I get the chance of finishing any time soon, so I decided to process the Ha data for the Heart nebula.

I have some stacking issues on top left, and right + bottom left corner. I have successfully removed similar before in GIMP, but I'm not sure I managed this time.

Usually those type of artefacts are more diffuse, and not so visible.

If anyone have tips on removing those, then please share.

Specs

2h 10min of 300sec subs on my ASI 1600mm-cool @ Unity and -30c with the Equinox 80

ic1805_v2.thumb.png.cd5f4bc5425b9ad1cecdbba56a183322.png

Let me know what you think.

Best regards, Magnus.

Lovely work, IC1805 looks stunning in Ha and is one of my favourites to image. I'm working on a tricolour narrowband version. :) I'm not sure what program you use to integrate your images, but it is worth investing in AstroPixelProcessor. It has given me excellent results with whatever orientation of images I have thrown at it.

3 minutes ago, SyedT said:

Lovely work, IC1805 looks stunning in Ha and is one of my favourites to image. I'm working on a tricolour narrowband version. :) I'm not sure what program you use to integrate your images, but it is worth investing in AstroPixelProcessor. It has given me excellent results with whatever orientation of images I have thrown at it.

Im using pix insight for the entire processing. I usually get some stacking artefacts whit subs from both side of the meridian. However I had no space left to crop this image, or I would have lost some of the nebula.

The mosaic version I'm working on has overlap, so this should not be an issue.

4 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

So would that be "cone error"? There is a free program called conesharp (from the same stable as sharpcap) that can help you fix that. 

I think that it might be. I'll look up conesharp, and see if it does the trick. :)

9 minutes ago, Magnus_e said:

Im using pix insight for the entire processing. I usually get some stacking artefacts whit subs from both side of the meridian. However I had no space left to crop this image, or I would have lost some of the nebula.

The mosaic version I'm working on has overlap, so this should not be an issue.

I think that it might be. I'll look up conesharp, and see if it does the trick. :)

I use Pixinsight too, but I found that its registration and auto-cropping frustrated me. It kept cutting off corners based on the registration image, and there didn't seem to be any solution to this; when it did manage to get the whole image, there would be stacking artefacts present. What I have found with APP is that it registers based on all of the subs, and then blends it in with a special algorithm which allows me to keep the field of view of all subs without losing anything from night to night, and also has minimal artefacts. Below is an IC 1805 Ha stack, a total of 13 hours of exposure over 4 nights which were spread across a total of 3 weeks with varying camera orientations etc. With PI, it kept cutting out the lower right corner so I couldn't quite get the edge of the nebula, whereas APP stacked and stitched everything with minimal fuss. PI is a great program which I use for post-integration processing, but for integration I'm going to stick with APP. :) 

Ha.thumb.png.0ca73425162b52dc3b8ca77e4163c256.png

19 minutes ago, SyedT said:

I use Pixinsight too, but I found that its registration and auto-cropping frustrated me. It kept cutting off corners based on the registration image, and there didn't seem to be any solution to this; when it did manage to get the whole image, there would be stacking artefacts present. What I have found with APP is that it registers based on all of the subs, and then blends it in with a special algorithm which allows me to keep the field of view of all subs without losing anything from night to night, and also has minimal artefacts. Below is an IC 1805 Ha stack, a total of 13 hours of exposure over 4 nights which were spread across a total of 3 weeks with varying camera orientations etc. With PI, it kept cutting out the lower right corner so I couldn't quite get the edge of the nebula, whereas APP stacked and stitched everything with minimal fuss. PI is a great program which I use for post-integration processing, but for integration I'm going to stick with APP. :) 

Ok I see. I did not know there was a way around this.

I think something like this could be integrated in Pix insight as it sounds exactly what the mosaic gradiant merge tool does.

If all the subs that had the same orientation was stacked together and then merged, it should work. This is to much work doing manually, but nice to know APP can do it.

3 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Wow..theres structure in that that I've not seen before..great job Magnus 

Theres only slightly more than two hours of data, but it's good enough to keep for future expansion.

If I get the mosaic done, then I might start on a SHO later. (Probably not this year, but I'm not getting bored anytime soon :) )

40 minutes ago, Magnus_e said:

Ok I see. I did not know there was a way around this.

I think something like this could be integrated in Pix insight as it sounds exactly what the mosaic gradiant merge tool does.

If all the subs that had the same orientation was stacked together and then merged, it should work. This is to much work doing manually, but nice to know APP can do it.

I tried all possible workarounds including merging the different integrated images as you mentioned via GMM, but found that it was taking up way too much time and there's always the issue with pinched stars in mosaics which have to be corrected either via adjusting the settings or using PixelMath. I was very surprised that PI did not have a better way of addressing this issue, and I feel they might not come out with one for a while (I did ask for advice on the PI forums). APP has just been stress-free for me with minimal adjustment of settings. Even creating mosaics in PI can be a chore with 4 or more panels, whereas APP tends to make it more straightforward.

1 hour ago, SyedT said:

I tried all possible workarounds including merging the different integrated images as you mentioned via GMM, but found that it was taking up way too much time and there's always the issue with pinched stars in mosaics which have to be corrected either via adjusting the settings or using PixelMath. I was very surprised that PI did not have a better way of addressing this issue, and I feel they might not come out with one for a while (I did ask for advice on the PI forums). APP has just been stress-free for me with minimal adjustment of settings. Even creating mosaics in PI can be a chore with 4 or more panels, whereas APP tends to make it more straightforward.

I see there is a 30 day trial, so I'll have a go soon :)

I do like the pix insights way of doing it all, but it cannot be perfect on all types of processing, I guess.

Archived