NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Holiday scope question

I am off to Cornwall on 21st to 28th April and trying to decide which scope to take. From what I can see the moon is going to be around last quarter and Jupiter will be starting to rise, so I was thinking of taking a scope that was suitable for lunar/planetary/doubles. Car space is limited so the C8 and Tal 100RS are not really an option as they also require a beefy mount like the Skytee 2. So I am thinking that the Heritage 130P is probably the best option on either its own dob mount or on the Mini-Giro. The smallest eyepiece I have is a 5mm BST, giving 130x, but I was thinking that it would be good to get closer to 180x, which would require a 3.5mm eyepiece giving an exit pupil of around 0.7mm which is just about ok I think. So my questions are:

• Would the Heritage stand up to 180x (especially as Jupiter and the moon would be fairly low)?
  • If so what 3.5mm eyepice would work well with F5 optics?
  • If I could find a way of taking the Tal, would it outperform the Heritage on lunar/planets/doubles?

Any help appreciated!

Hello

For a grab and go then the 130 Heritage would be my choice, so compact but with a very useful 130mm aperture.

It is understood that the mirror in the heritage is a quality one. Therefore it is generally accepted that a scope can give 50x magnification per inch of aperture, so if the seeing conditions allow then 180x is achievable.

Obviously TV are tested to f/4 so well safe with any of these. And maybe Barlow a longer focal length TV to get to the required 3.5,mm

There is also the BST starguider which I understand is ok for f/5 up. They do a 5mm that could Barlow, or a native 3.2mm

The Tal maybe may show more CA on the lunar. But obviously you get into the frac v reflector debate. Some prefer the slightly sharper cleaner view a frac can provide on certain targets

I hope the above helps

My Heritage 130 P Flextube is regularly used with mag 182x (Seben Zoom at 8 mmf + Baader 2,25 Barlow (a shorty one). No problems to go even higher (243x with a 6mmf Ortho) with good seeing conditions. I'm often amazed, how, quite natural, I'm cranking up the mag to these values, especially for Lunar, with this excellent scope.

Stephan

I use the Heritage 130P as a quick grab and go plus outreach work. I often use the TeleVue 8-24 zoom plus the 2.25X barlow and the quality is pretty good. In addition I find observing the Moon the ES82 6.7mm and 4.7mm give a very nice quality view.

I have never used the BST range but the reviews are good so perhaps the 3.5mm is worth trying or maybe purchase the Baader 2.25X which might give you more options.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

3 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I would do my best to take the Tal

Thanks Peter, I'm assuming you are suggesting the Tal because the smaller aperture might be able to 'cut through' the atmospheric turbulence caused by the low altitude? Or do you just think it is more suited (not wishing to start a hot debate, just curious :icon_biggrin: )? In a recent session using the Tal and the C8 side by side, the Tal was able to split Alnitak above the rooftops but the C8 wasn't, so that was a revelation!

3 hours ago, Timebandit said:

bviously TV are tested to f/4 so well safe with any of these. And maybe Barlow a longer focal length TV to get to the required 3.5,mm

There is also the BST starguider which I understand is ok for f/5 up. They do a 5mm that could Barlow, or a native 3.2mm

I didn't know the TV's were tested to F4, that would definitely fit the bill, but a bit pricey for me (I realised I failed to give you a budget, but I was thinking £50-£80 given that neither scope cost me more than £100! I'd love to have a TV some day! :) I have a BST 5mm which gives me 130x, but could do with the option for a bit more mag.

3 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

Seben Zoom at 8 mmf + Baader 2,25 Barlow

I actually have a Seben Zoom so a Baader shorty is a definite possibility, 8mm x2.25 is pretty much what I was hoping to achieve and provides a nice flexible solution on a  variety scopes. I assume this is the barlow you are referring to?

2 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I often use the TeleVue 8-24 zoom plus the 2.25X barlow and the quality is pretty good.

Thanks Mark, I would love a Televue one day and I will have the perfect flexible solution! It's good to know this is possible with the Heritage as the plastic plate cannot withstand heavyweight e/p's, so this sounds like a good solution.

I think I will have to try a side by side with the Heritage and Tal on the moon to see how they compare. I think I know what is going to happen, I will buy a barlow and take both scopes! :rolleyes2:

Archived