NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 reworked - Getting the hang of curves

DeanWatson

The trouble with working alone and is you often miss a trick - And the lovely thing about this forum is that you can pick up stuff and interact with your peers. Would you believe that for all this time I was fighting shy of curves in PS as I had no idea where to start. I was loking last night at a tutorial by Tom Diane and this really cleared away the fog. Anyway, I posted a M31 a few days ago and wasn't too happy after all with it. I started reworking it from scratch last night and here is the result is this - A little bit noisy I guess but more data should fix that I hope. Just wish I'd been a kelling now with the quality of data some of you other guys had been getting!

8983_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Hello again Billy, you're always very kind - particularly as I have a great respect for the work you post yourself. Its a nice place to make friends isn't it. Working on my own as I do you have a tendancy to get a little insular and precious about what you're doing and I always get a little nervous posting stuff of fear of being torn to shreds (Daft and groundless as that is I know!)

Loving curves! Just so much to reprocess tonight!

Thanks ever so much guys (oh BTW - excuse the slightly clumsy crop - I had the data on a memory stick from last night when I hadn't done that nd had to use the clumsy tool I have on my work laptop - I'll redo the crop later, just wanted to make some attempt to do the framing justice...)

I've got a few other bits I want to redo and stick on here now - So more cloudy nights please wahahhhaagggg!!! You know what, I think I'll buy another telescope to make it happen - I don't think that 5 is anywhere near enough no matter what my partner thinks - She's an archaeologist - what do they know...!

Loving curves! Just so much to reprocess tonight!

Excellent image and huge improvement. One little detail I'm sure you have in your image data are the dust lanes right in the core of the galaxy. Take a look at my image here; (Looking back at it I might have "over done" that part a little....well well) You have far more detail in the outer lanes than I, good work on either capture or processing :)

http://ukastronomers.com/glennbech/image/8798_large.jpeg

Those details are fairly easy to get out using curves;

0) Zoom in on the core

1) CTRL-M.

2) Find a bright spot in the core and click on it. You will now have a point on the curve.

3) Hold the Shift button down (or was it CTRL?) and find a dusty area in the core. Click it.

4) you now have two points on your curve. By adjust the vertical distance between these two you basicly increase the contrast between the core and the dusty parts.

5) Place a third point on the curve just above the "galaxy core" point. This is your "control point" that makes sure the curve moves in a "Straight" from the area you have adjusted and up to the right corner. This should make the rest of the image unaffected by your curve adjustment.

5) Make very small adjustments and see how it affects the whole picture.

Im sure you have it in there, my exposure is just 45 minutes.

Archived