NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

H.N. Irving & Son 3" Refractor?

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 13:58, mikeDnight said:

Another really nice eyepiece that's as cheap as chips is the Super Abbe Orthoscopic from 365 Astronomy. I use a pair of 16.8mm SAO's in my binoviewer for lunar and planetary observing. They are not so good in short F ratio scopes but in a longer focal length instrument they are excellent! I use a Barlow in my binoviewer on my 100mm F7.4 and the 16.8mm's are sharp to the edge and as tack sharp on axis as can be.

I have the 7.7 mm version from 365 astronomy. I have yet to be impressed by it really, in my current line of telescopes. I will be going to pick up my dream telescope next month which is a 4" F15 telescope. I will then test the 7.7mm Super Abbe Otho in that scope, should be a better test. The 7.7mm Super Abbe Otho, will be compared to my Brandon 8mm, and Baader Hyperion Zoom mk3 set to 8mm. 

When I did a daylight eyepiece comparison test last week, I used an evergreen tree, set against a blue sky. I set my Baader Hyperion Zoom to 12.5mm and compared my 12.5mm Circle T Volcano top Otho eyepiece. I used my Skylight 60mm F15 telescope, knowing they are fantastic optics. I hate to say it, theoretically with 7 elements it shouldn't be this way, but I could see more detail through the Baader Hyperion zoom!

Will be interesting to see if that is the case on planets!

Edited by Dave1

1 hour ago, Dave1 said:

I have the 7.7 mm version from 365 astronomy. I have yet to be impressed by it really, in my current line of telescopes. I will be going to pick up my dream telescope next month which is a 4" F15 telescope. I will then test the 7.7mm Super Abbe Otho in that scope, should be a better test. The 7.7mm Super Abbe Otho, will be compared to my Brandon 8mm, and Baader Hyperion Zoom mk3 set to 8mm. 

When I did a daylight eyepiece comparison test last week, I used an evergreen tree, set against a blue sky. I set my Baader Hyperion Zoom to 12.5mm and compared my 12.5mm Circle T Volcano top Otho eyepiece. I used my Skylight 60mm F15 telescope, knowing they are fantastic optics. I hate to say it, theoretically with 7 elements it shouldn't be this way, but I could see more detail through the Baader Hyperion zoom!

Will be interesting to see if that is the case on planets!

Hi Dave,

I've not used any of the shorter focal length in the super Abbe range but I imagine they will be a bit uncomfortable on eye relief. The 16.8mm's in the bino viewer with a barlow are really excellent. In your dream 4" F15 the 16.8 should be good at around X90 and great at X180 with a barlow. They are super cheap so not a great risk!

Hi,

I have a 4.25" Wray refractor on a Cooke equatorial mount and mahogany tripod that I am currently using in my observatory. I also own a 5" Cooke refractor on Cooke equatorial and  iron column with a weight driven clock drive. That 70mm Ross scope on this forum is a very nice scope I must say.

HAsun.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I still have my 4 inch refractor made by Ron Irving.  I've had it for about 50 years and it's as good as the day I collected it from Ron's house [removed word] workshop [removed word] office. He always showed his customers into his front room which consisted of an enormous table covered in just about everything imaginable.  How he could ever find anything was beyond me but he must have had a system somewhere.  I believe the OG is by David Hinds, not Wildey.

Geoff White

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Geoff White said:

I still have my 4 inch refractor made by Ron Irving.  I've had it for about 50 years and it's as good as the day I collected it from Ron's house [removed word] workshop [removed word] office. He always showed his customers into his front room which consisted of an enormous table covered in just about everything imaginable.  How he could ever find anything was beyond me but he must have had a system somewhere.  I believe the OG is by David Hinds, not Wildey.

Geoff White

I know that David Hinds was a good mirror maker but I did not realise that he also did refractor objectives ?

Very nice reading all the posts I still like old scopes over new scopes,   I got this D76.2 F1250 think it was last year try it did not like it back in the box till now , Was clear just before dark tonight and the scope been outside for just over a hour , Usein the old Swift Japan (T) 40mm with x2 then a 12mm and the Moon was looking good.  still easy to move about for home to garden with just one hand ,So a lot  of fun without lots of setting up. So it save for a bit longer.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...