NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to promote light pollution..

Piero

Here is how the current Mayor of Venice and Venice Area celebrates the "contemporary symbol of the centrality of the Venetian industrial area" (Simbolo contemporaneo della centralità dell'area industriale veneziana), a rather meaninless sentence for a meaninless project. It is a light beam called Ramses II reaching an altitude of 12,000 m, consuming 72,000 watt, and visible from the Alps. 

Sources (text in Italian): 

http://www.veneziatoday.it/cronaca/porto-marghera-accensione-ramses-cerimonia-faro.html  

http://mestre.veneziatoday.it/faro-ramses-marghera-inquinamento-luminoso-5stelle.html

I can see it from my bedroom. Here some photos (not mine, but available online).

image.jpg 

faro-marghera-720x522.jpg

26992436_10155729417546208_1559548450411

And it goes right the way through M42, for a few minutes anyway......

Whatever local authorities may say, most will have other priorities than light pollution, which is given very little to zero thought.

Even if they install LED streetlights the first priority with those will be lower running costs. But at least the ones in my area dim to 50% at midnight, it’s welcome of course, but further reduction in running costs was the reason.

Ed.

Wow, impressive beam. I dont think it would add much in the way of LP to astronomers. Its very concentrated beam. The rest of the LP looks bad enough.

Is that Venice (Italy) or Venice (LA/California)?. The 2nd image with mountains in the foreground look like LA.

Archived