Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Catching up with an old friend.

johnfosteruk

I've been under virtually continual permacloud since January 1st and when it's not been cloudy, I've been working. I was working late this evening until just after 8 and popped out for a peak at about 6 to see gorgeous clear pretty transparent skies.

Would it still be clear when I left? Yes indeedy, I was straight outside setting up while the kettle boiled for coffee.

First decision, Lunar or Doubles in Orion? The latter has been on my target list glaring at me and crying neglect for some time but do you know what, Orion will still be there tomorrow, or the next day. So Lunar it was.

Next decision, frac or mak? Both. Frac for some full disk imaging while the mak cooled, the beauty of a 4" mak at this time of year is it doesn't take as long as you think with the caps off. 

Once the full disk data was captured, I switched scopes and captured some video with the 2.5x barlow for some close up images, it looked good, nice and sharp, steady views with good contrast. So then it was out with the Hyperions for some observing.

Starting off with a full disk view at 100x, steady and sharp, from the writhing rays of Copernicus to the foreboding dark expanses of the Maria, the glare of Aristarchus demanding further inspection. In the South, Schickard with it's patchy floor was showing a number of craterlets - I think D, C and F particularly prominent. The mak really is excellent on the moon.

At 160x I took in Aristarchus, Schröter's valley, Herodotus and the views just demanded more magnification, so up to 240x I went and the seeing let me do it too. I didn't catch any of Pickering's vapours or the red glows noted by two Lowell observatory staff in 1963 but the views were just fine without them :)

The Cobra's head was beautiful, the valley winding away to the north, easy to imagine the magma flows rising up and flowing into the northern shores of Oceanus Procellarum.

I moved down the terminator, the length from above Cavelerius down to Grimaldi just brimming with an overwhelming amount of detail. I was going to sketch but I was so busy noting down details and enjoying the views that just observing was too enjoyable. The small central peak in Hevelius was surprisingly prominent and the walls of Lorhmann stood out nicely.

I could have spent another hour here, but moved down to Schickard, it's walls very sharp and the lighter central part of the crater floor contrasting against the darker eastern and western shores. Several small craters around the walls and periphery.

Then, I must admit I didn't want to make any more notes I just wanted to scan around and take in the views, I spent time up around Pythagoras, that's an impressive central peak. I took a closer look at Copernicus and it's ejecta, Some nice detail still showing on the high ground by the Jura Mountains and Sinus Iridum and then the far southern walls of Bailly seemingly suspended in the blackness of space. Who needs notes anyway!

So pleased to get out there tonight, very enjoyable indeed.

Wonderful report John. Having been doing exactly the same thing myself, I continue to be frustrated by my inability to remember much in the way of features! I lumber around, supported by an iPhone App. Just not the same.

Anyway, that aside, the views were pretty spectacular tonight weren't they? Best seeing I've had for quite a while.

Thanks for a great read :)

Must go to bed now!!

21 hours ago, Stu said:

I continue to be frustrated by my inability to remember much in the way of features! I lumber around, supported by an iPhone App. Just not the same.

If I've given the impression I know what I'm talking about then I am nothing but a liar! :)
I know some of the features but the large majority of what I was observing is often identified afterwards, some of it sticks though!

Archived