NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lens for Canon 1300D

Shivali

Hello all, this is my first post!

I have very recently started AP so bear with me if the questions are tedious! 

Currently, i have a Canon 1300D, Sigma 18-35mm, Manfrotto Compact Advanced Tripod. I also have a cheapo Celestron travelscope 70 which i rarely use.

I have my set up sorted for the Milky Way but now i want to expand to DSO- Nebulae, M31 etc. 

I travel a lot and will be purchasing the Skywatcher star adventurer. I just have no idea which long focal length lens to purchase. I would ideally want a range for the focal length, and be able to use it for imaging different situations but atm it is mainly for AP. 

Does anyone also know a good sturdy Tripod for this all?

Thank you in advance for your replies- i have learnt SO much from here!

If you want an imaging scope, the 130P-DS is a cracking solution at a reasonable price compared to camera lenses, although for best results you should add a coma corrector.

For wider field imaging there are some great 135mm lenses out there as @happy-kat suggests, but they are a bit short for most deep space objects with a DSLR.

Thank you for your replies

i am planning to spend £500 or less. I’ve seen some second hand 70-300mm lenses but just not sure which lens would be most suitable to put onto the canon- it’s so confusing! The 135mm is a fixed length I believe-  I was considering a range lens so I could use it for other photo applications- what do you think? 

Oh brilliant! I’ll definitely hang on to the scope! Thank you

The only zoom lens for AP that I would recommend in that price bracket is the Canon 70-200 mm f/4 L which should be within your budget 2nd hand, the Samyang 135 mm f/2 is probably the best AP lens available at any price but has its limits in that its totally manual.

Alan

24 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

I'd say +1 for the samyang 135mm even though it's a fixed lens, it truly is outstand.

You'll be hard pressed to find anything better without using a scope.

To be honest not many scopes under 1K could get close to its performance with a full frame camera and even then they would be far far slower.

Alan

I've just purchased a star adventurer and it's awesome..im using it on a photographic tripod at the moment but in time I will get something more stable..

As for lenses,I tend to prefer fixed ones rather than the zoom lens type..if you look up first light optics astromany tools you can look at potential targets in visual and imaging mode to get a feel for what sizes for what lense.. for widefield milky way i prefer the samyang 14mm but I think the 24mm is better..id kill for a 135mm samyang...also enjoy Orion at 50mm too.. have a look at this..

http://astronomy.tools/

I was in a similar position, looking for a decent lens to use with a 1300D and Star Adventurer.

Check out www.mpb.com- they have a few used canon 70-200mm lenses- it’s the L series that would be best. You can get an f/4 version  for £370 ish and f/2.8 for around £570 (both without IS).

I had a look at both, but on the basis of recommendations here, the faster f ratio and decent price went for the Samyang 135mm F/2. It’s due to arrive tomorrow- so not had the opportunity to test it. I’m quite excited to see what I can do with it around new moon!

1 hour ago, catburglar said:

I was in a similar position, looking for a decent lens to use with a 1300D and Star Adventurer.

Check out www.mpb.com- they have a few used canon 70-200mm lenses- it’s the L series that would be best. You can get an f/4 version  for £370 ish and f/2.8 for around £570 (both without IS).

I had a look at both, but on the basis of recommendations here, the faster f ratio and decent price went for the Samyang 135mm F/2. It’s due to arrive tomorrow- so not had the opportunity to test it. I’m quite excited to see what I can do with it around new moon!

Brilliant that you went for it! Please show us images when you can! 

Thanks for the site recommendation.

1 hour ago, catburglar said:

You won't be disappointed 

Archived