Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tinkering .Fine tuning the views !

cotterless45

Chance brought me a NOS( Celestron SP-C ) collimating cell and a replacement NOS Vixen focuser for the ancient 102. With some trepidation the ota was reduced in length and the focuser fine tuned to give no slop, backlash and responsive focuser. Cheshire colli  check gave it right through the middle.

The whole gamut is over 30 years old and rescued. Every few months a white crud appears in the ota :  Yikes ! Nothing had been tested in anger. Still , it's fun and absorbing go fettle old stuff. I'd be afraid to touch new shiny things !

There was ,at best , a hazy Moon , sort of Hammer Horror over the castle Dracula ! Just one star visible (Sirius) and cloud coming and going from the west. I set up facing the north, aligned on Sirius.

Star test showed super diffraction rings both side of high power focus . Up to the Moon, I'm not a huge fan. Even with the misty view the razor sharp contrasts showed me features that I had for seen before.

We got over to Tegmine , at low power I had a bright double with a peanut. The 5.5mm Meade UWA split it into three, very pleasing given to haze !

By this time I was on the point of sobbing with relief and the sheer pleasure of getting something done which had , more by chance than planning , got a result ! Just can't wait for a clear night. 4" achromatic aperture is just awesome !

Clear skies ! Nick.

Archived