Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW WiFi synscan pro problems.

simmo39

Hi, I replaced my SW goto handset with one of those WiFi things to control my HEQ 5. When it works, it's brilliant but it's not staying connected for long periods. If I find a target start taking subs it goes ok but when I try to park the scope at the end of a session I can't get any connection. Has anybody else had this issue and if so any tips? Also, as I have to park the scope manually it throws out the next alignment. All a bit of a pain. Don't get my wrong having one less cable to tangle is brilliant but could do with better connection. Any help and advice welcome.

That doesn't make any sense other then to suggest your wifi signal is weak.

Plus you should be able to reconnect the SysScan App (so long as you have powered off the mount) and then just use the "Park to home" command as the mount should still be omitting the coordinates from where it is pointing to.

Of course if you have found a "bug" then contact Sky Watcher they are very helpful on this device.

You don't say what kit you are using (Android ,windows etc) but are you sure that its not the computer end thats going to "sleep".  

Clear Skies !

Hi I'm using an android fone. The mount works fine even when the fone app won't respond, as I say it's just at the end of session that I have problems. No connection and won't even reconnect. Just keeps dumping me out of the app. 

2 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Hi I'm using an android fone. The mount works fine even when the fone app won't respond, as I say it's just at the end of session that I have problems. No connection and won't even reconnect. Just keeps dumping me out of the app. 

"Just keeps dumping me out of the app" - do you mean the Phone goes back to home screen and so you loose the Synscan App when you try to "Park" - what function are you using for "Park" - do you use "hibernate" function ?

"No connection and won't even reconnect." - have you made sure that the Phone still has a wireless link AND is "connected" ? Try powering off the Phone , reconnecting to the Wireless network of the SW Adapter and then loading the Synscan App to see if connects.

Unless your imagine software has control of the mount as well as the Synscan app in which case you need to disconnect the imagine sofware from the mount first. same goes for if you are using PHD or the similar.

The possible problem with SW adapter is that it uses UDP protocol (assuming you are using UDP not serial or Ascom) which does not bother with error correction(unlike TCP) so if you get a problem it doesn't care (or know) and carries on regardless.

44 minutes ago, stash_old said:

"Just keeps dumping me out of the app" - do you mean the Phone goes back to home screen and so you loose the Synscan App when you try to "Park" - what function are you using for "Park" - do you use "hibernate" function ?

"No connection and won't even reconnect." - have you made sure that the Phone still has a wireless link AND is "connected" ? Try powering off the Phone , reconnecting to the Wireless network of the SW Adapter and then loading the Synscan App to see if connects.

Unless your imagine software has control of the mount as well as the Synscan app in which case you need to disconnect the imagine sofware from the mount first. same goes for if you are using PHD or the similar.

The possible problem with SW adapter is that it uses UDP protocol (assuming you are using UDP not serial or Ascom) which does not bother with error correction(unlike TCP) so if you get a problem it doesn't care (or know) and carries on regardless.

Hi, thanks for the reply. When I say it dumps me out it shuts down the app and goes back to the basic fone screen. I don't use ascom or computer control for the mount. The WiFi signal seems to be v good. It just doesn't seem to like it if it's not used for an hour or so. Strange. 

2 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Hi, thanks for the reply. When I say it dumps me out it shuts down the app and goes back to the basic fone screen. I don't use ascom or computer control for the mount. The WiFi signal seems to be v good. It just doesn't seem to like it if it's not used for an hour or so. Strange. 

Still sounds like a wireless phone problem - but as I say contact SW there are fairly good at responding so contact them - there are some "retries" and "timeouts" settings but changing them at this moment in time might make things worse. Even when "you" are not doing things the Adapter and App are still talking. Be interested to see if SW (or someone ) comes up with a solution.

• 6 months later...

I have had to upgrade from an Android 4.4.2 device to an Android 6.0 device to get mine to work properly.

I have reported elsewhere, but in short I have always had minor problems with my 4.4.2 pad which got worse (but I love the wifi unit when working). Reloading the syscan software meant that it would not work at all, but it worked with my 5.2 phone OK.

A new 4.4.2 pad did not work either.

I now use a 6.0 pad and it works perfectly.

20 hours ago, tteedd said:

I have had to upgrade from an Android 4.4.2 device to an Android 6.0 device to get mine to work properly.

I have reported elsewhere, but in short I have always had minor problems with my 4.4.2 pad which got worse (but I love the wifi unit when working). Reloading the syscan software meant that it would not work at all, but it worked with my 5.2 phone OK.

A new 4.4.2 pad did not work either.

I now use a 6.0 pad and it works perfectly.

Thanks for the pointer. I must confess I have given up on it and now control from my computer although I may give it ago again if I get a new fone. Still would like less leads hanging.

• 2 months later...

Use Hibernate to park scope, not Auto Home

The issue I have, when do 2 star alignment, I select first star I want, and having issues saving first star alignment, as meant to up/right to save, and not having any luck

When select second star, the application picks a star that it thinks you want, and second star you want is not in list

Archived