Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 80ED DS-PRO & Chromatic Aberration.

Hi.

After deciding on a HEQ5 & the above scope as my imaging rig as a beginner in AP (Havnt yet decided on the camera but it will be a CCD) A member from this forum mentioned that it suffers from slight CA.

Before I shell out over £600 for a scope & reducer/ flattener I'm wondering if anyone with the same set up has seem this issue & if so , how bad/noticeable  is it?

I've also been advised (thanks Wimvb) to check out Astrobin & images taken with this scope, thought I'd ask the question here aswell.

Thanks

Steve

3 minutes ago, nephilim said:

Hi.

After deciding on a HEQ5 & the above scope as my imaging rig as a beginner in AP (Havnt yet decided on the camera but it will be a CCD) A member from this forum mentioned that it suffers from slight CA.

Before I shell out over £600 for a scope & reducer/ flattener I'm wondering if anyone with the same set up has seem this issue & if so , how bad/noticeable  is it?

I've also been advised (thanks Wimvb) to check out Astrobin & images taken with this scope, thought I'd ask the question here aswell.

Thanks

Steve

The SW 80ED DS Pro is excellent value for money and has excellent optics. 

From an imaging perspective, yes, it does have some CA but I'd be amazed if you will be able see it in your images - this is because your post processing skills will need to reach a certain level before they become noticeable.  When your skills have reached that level then you can easily correct for any CA by various post processing techniques.  

From an imaging perspective, I'd say that the weakest element of this scope is not CA but the focuser, which whilst adequate, it is not great. However, if this becomes an issue for you, then can easily upgrade, as I did - which allowed me to go down the auto focusing route.

If you want to have a look at some images taken with this scope, have a look in my gallery pages on this site.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this scope. 

Alan

14 minutes ago, alan4908 said:

The SW 80ED DS Pro is excellent value for money and has excellent optics. 

From an imaging perspective, yes, it does have some CA but I'd be amazed if you will be able see it in your images - this is because your post processing skills will need to reach a certain level before they become noticeable.  When your skills have reached that level then you can easily correct for any CA by various post processing techniques.  

From an imaging perspective, I'd say that the weakest element of this scope is not CA but the focuser, which whilst adequate, it is not great. However, if this becomes an issue for you, then can easily upgrade, as I did - which allowed me to go down the auto focusing route.

If you want to have a look at some images taken with this scope, have a look in my gallery pages on this site.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this scope. 

Alan

Thanks for the reply Alan, that's great to know.

I've heard nothing but positive reviews on this scope but I'm researching my potential setup long & hard before I make any purchases as I don't want to 'buy twice" (I did that when I first started visual astronomy & it's a painfull lesson to learn:icon_biggrin:) I'd also heard about the focuser problem & was looking at an auto focuser myself (do you have a recommendation?)

I'll have a look at your images once I'm back home thanks

Regards

Steve

Archived