NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lens cover for 150mm Refractor

bendiddley

I have a 2nd hand skywatcher 150mm refractor but it didn't come a objective lens cover, it's a startravel 150. Currently waiting on FLO to see if they can get a replacement but just thought I'd ask on here encase anyone has an ideas how I could make one myself or source something suitable. I've tried looking up circlular lids on ebay and amazon, seen something made of cork which would fit, but wouldn't look the best, but now scratching my head a bit, hope someone can help.

Funnily enough, I was looking into replacement dust caps for telescopes yesterday. The only supplier I could find was Astrozap, whose products are also sold be Astroshop.eu https://www.astroshop.eu/telescope-accessories/dust-covers/15_95. However, they don't list your telescope - maybe one of the other caps fits, but that would be a coincidence. I guess there must be other suppliers of generic caps out there somewhere.

Jeremy

I once used PVC pipe plug to make aperture masks for my ST102.

It's not a perfect fit, but a bit of duck tape to increase outer diameter of plug and it fits inside dew shield like a glove.

Should be readily available in DIY / home stores, but not sure if they make them in 6" size.

Something like this, just make sure it fits inside dew shield:

052063017402.jpg

2 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I once used PVC pipe plug to make aperture masks for my ST102.

It's not a perfect fit, but a bit of duck tape to increase outer diameter of plug and it fits inside dew shield like a glove.

Should be readily available in DIY / home stores, but not sure if they make them in 6" size.

Something like this, just make sure it fits inside dew shield:

052063017402.jpg

Cheers, this is the sort of DIY creativity I'd hoped for!

17 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Funnily enough, I was looking into replacement dust caps for telescopes yesterday. The only supplier I could find was Astrozap, whose products are also sold be Astroshop.eu https://www.astroshop.eu/telescope-accessories/dust-covers/15_95. However, they don't list your telescope - maybe one of the other caps fits, but that would be a coincidence. I guess there must be other suppliers of generic caps out there somewhere.

Jeremy

Cheers for that. Yep I'd looked at the astrozap covers, nothing on there and also a little pricey too, wanted to get something fairly cheap.

9 minutes ago, Cozzy said:

Have you tried looking at circular Tupperware tubs/lids (other manufactures/makes available:icon_biggrin:) I'm sure they do tubs of of almost any size.

Tim

I have. It's a great concept and there's lots of lids available but I need the lid to be 167mm diametre and as yet I haven't found one.

On 1/12/2018 at 13:05, steppenwolf said:

I've seen people use shower caps for this purpose - not pretty but does a superb job of keeping the dust out while you look for a more 'cosmetic' solution.

Actually I'm thinking of doing something along those lines for my observatory scope except making it from black velvet with an elasticated band (but essentially a shower cap design) I'm also going to have a stiff cardboard disc in there so that the end looks nice and flat once on the scope. Finally the plan is to incorporate a bag of silica gel to prevent dewing which happens even with the cap on in our lovely English climate. 

9 minutes ago, timwetherell said:

Actually I'm thinking of doing something along those lines for my observatory scope except making it from black velvet with an elasticated band (but essentially a shower cap design) I'm also going to have a stiff cardboard disc in there so that the end looks nice and flat once on the scope. Finally the plan is to incorporate a bag of silica gel to prevent dewing which happens even with the cap on in our lovely English climate. 

That sounds like a good solution to me!

Archived