Dobsonian base table

Miguel1983

Hi all,

a short wile back i passed up on a YouTube channel by Dennis Zylstra (shout out to mister Zylta !) and he had made a small table on which to put his Dobsonian.

I thought that was a great idea to get a more comfortable seeing possition, so i made one myself.

And here it is...

DSC01395.thumb.JPG.b9b6ae45ad64334e13fe60514d9ab7c3.JPG

The hight of the eyepiece in this position is about 145cm ( 57 inches)

DSC01393.thumb.JPG.f601012d09dd5f9b2cdfde92433ed449.JPG

I made the base triangular for better stability in grass.

DSC01385.thumb.JPG.af3482e485170bc5d9bf2b687c71eeaa.JPG

DSC01401.thumb.JPG.d938b064b0eb9ae3d7ac52906a406278.JPG

Zenith position (i'm 175 cm (69 inches) tall (or short))

Clear Skies !

That`s a nice job done there. I really must sort one out for my dob to save myself the back ache. I was thinking of getting a water butt stand but a custom made item would be better, especially if I could unscrew it and pack it flat in the back of the car when I go on dark site trips. That design looks like it would not be too difficult to enable taking apart and assembling. 

2 hours ago, Miguel1983 said:

I thought that was a great idea to get a more comfortable seeing possition,

Must just be me, but I would need to climb on that table to reach the eyepiece.

A slight exaggeration maybe but I use a drum stool when seated at the scope, and can reach the eyepiece at any angle, I can't imagine viewing any other way.

I also bought the water butt stand ( its a three part unit ) to lift and keep the scope off various surfaces, but never ended up using this feature, but did buy a water butt, which is most helpful during the summer months  of drought!

Credit due though for the DIY.

6 hours ago, Charic said:

Must just be me, but I would need to climb on that table to reach the eyepiece.

I guess everybody has his favorite position :happy6: ,  i like standing up so i can move the scope around quicker.

I just use an ironing chair so I can get comfy and really look at an object with my 10" dob. My friend has an 8" dob and uses a small table from our Swedish friends furniture store. I can't reach his eyepiece when at higher alt.

Archived