Casseiopeia area, 1st light with modded EOS 450d

I recently acquired a modded Canon Eos 450d from a fellow member of this community.

First chance to have a go with it was last night. Stuck it on the Star Adventurer with an old helios 58mm m42 fit lens.

60x120s Subs at iso800

30 darks

20 flats (finally had a go at these)

I am still not sure precisely what i am doing in Startools (any tips greatly received) so this is the image i ended up with:-

5a45491a25493_casseiopeia_a_271217.thumb.jpg.fc6da23e068ca3409414b3fab42662c9.jpg

Thanks for looking :-) 

3 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

It's a great area, it's my target at the moment. Your camera picks out the interesting red areas nicely.

Did you stop the lens down?

I have a Helios 135mm and it suffers with a dosing of CA.

I stopped it down to f5.6 i think. I couldn't get the processing how i wanted it really. It all looks a bit "blotchy" in and around the dust and nebulous areas to my eyes. 

DSS

Lights, flats, dark flats and bias. Darks make it nosier for me. Kappa-sigma clipping (no alignment of RGB and no hot pixel removal) and used autosaved fits file. I need to experiment with hot pixel removing I just haven;t got around to it yet.

--- Develop
Parameter [White Calibration] set to [Use Stars]
Parameter [Gamma] set to [1.00]
Parameter [Skyglow] set to [0 %]
Parameter [Digital Development] set to [76.82 %]
Parameter [Blue Luminance Contrib.] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Green Luminance Contrib.] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Red Luminance Contrib.] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Headroom] set to [5 %]
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Filter] set to [Off]
--- Crop
Parameter [X1] set to [4200 pixels]
Parameter [Y1] set to [100 pixels]
Parameter [X2] set to [104 pixels (-4186)]
Parameter [Y2] set to [2783 pixels (-73)]
--- Bin
Parameter [Scale] set to [(scale/noise reduction 50.00%)/(400.00%)/(+2.00 bits)]
--- Wipe (I use vignette)
Parameter [Mode] set to [Correct Color & Brightness]
Parameter [UNKNOWN] set to [No]
Parameter [Precision] set to [256 x 256 pixels]
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Filter] set to [1 pixels]
Parameter [Drop Off Point] set to [0 %]
Parameter [Corner Aggressiveness] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Aggressiveness] set to [75 %]
--- Develop
Parameter [White Calibration] set to [Use Stars]
Parameter [Gamma] set to [1.00]
Parameter [Skyglow] set to [0 %]
Parameter [Digital Development] set to [89.63 %]
Parameter [Blue Luminance Contrib.] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Green Luminance Contrib.] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Red Luminance Contrib.] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Headroom] set to [5 %]
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Filter] set to [Off]
--- Contrast
Parameter [Expose Dark Areas] set to [No]
Parameter [Compensate Gamma] set to [No]
Parameter [Precision] set to [256 x 256 pixels]
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Filter] set to [1 pixels]
Parameter [Aggressiveness] set to [30 %]
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Headroom] set to [15 %]

This particular stack didn't benefit or improve with other fiddling in StarTools.

I then take the tiff file into Paintshoppro for some colour histogram tweaking for my light pollution tint.

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 19:55, Bobby1970 said:

I stopped it down to f5.6 i think. I couldn't get the processing how i wanted it really. It all looks a bit "blotchy" in and around the dust and nebulous areas to my eyes. 

The stars don't look quite right to me Bobby, like you said "a bit blotchy". What did they look before processing.

On 30/12/2017 at 18:22, Pete Presland said:

The stars don't look quite right to me Bobby, like you said "a bit blotchy". What did they look before processing.

This is the original output from DSS, no processing at all. (this is a jpg version though), and my framing is off too. Ordered a red dot finder for the top of the camera.

5a47ddc8ed252_CasseiopeiaRS271217.thumb.jpg.b46d79f0c7ebdaee9b633377461fccc0.jpg

4 hours ago, Bobby1970 said:

This is the original output from Registax, no processing at all. (this is a jpg version though), and my framing is off too. Ordered a red dot finder for the top of the camera.

5a47ddc8ed252_CasseiopeiaRS271217.thumb.jpg.b46d79f0c7ebdaee9b633377461fccc0.jpg

The data looks pretty good to begin with, so it does seem to be processing. Certainly worth having another go at it, I have never used star tools myself though. Look forward to seeing your next go at it, if you choose give it a reprocess.

18 hours ago, Jonesdee said:

Hi Bobby, that stack looks pretty reasonable - if are you able to share the original file via dropbox or a wetransfer link,  I will happily try my StarTools workflow on it if you are interested?

Cheers

Dave

See the following link for the original file:-

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o7kkslbew73qi6k/AADuBCjPjx8x657wffRxjq8ba?dl=0

Your original image processing is very unique and it looks like it should be a "modern art" piece :)

Your second attempt is much more mainstream processing wise, but in my opinion could use alittle more colour left in.

I have had a quick go at processing your data, I have left alot of the red in to preserve some of the data. I very rarely process widefield images such as yours, so please forgive my crude attempt :p

20171231-Casseiopeia RS 271217.jpg

Hi Bobby, will post a couple of pics shortly - my attempts match your last effort almost exactly - I think you have cracked the Star Tools work flow - certainly your stretch of the original image is as good as it gets.  Like Josh's version above, mine has a tad more colour, but the structure and star content is the same as yours.  Well done mate, you have very quickly got your head around it :) 

Thanks all for the feedback and criticism. Lol. I did wonder about a new career in modern art maybe, following my first attempt. ;-)

I think one of the area's I went wrong was to try and "repair" the stars to make them appear more round. Rather than just points of light as they should be in a widefield image I guess. 

I have also changed my dss settings as per some startools tutorials I have read.  I haven't re stacked this image though. But it will be interesting to see how future ones pan out. 

1 hour ago, Jonesdee said:

Hi Bobby, here is my version - I struggled to get much natural colour from the image, hence it is probably a bit too saturated. (I cannot get it to display here either !).  Get that Guide Scope running and do some nice long exposures :)

Casseiopeia RS 271217DJ2.TIF

Looks good Dave. I think the colour is a little subjective personally anyway. I was definitely aiming to not overdo it. 

Thanks for all of the help and advice everyone. Happy new year to you all. 

Archived