NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter flash

alhiggs

3 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Could there have been an impact on Jupiter? People have spotted and captured those before. Very rare, nonetheless. I have spotted a point meteor twice, but never through the EP

but wouldn't of NASA said something by now what is a point meteor

16 minutes ago, alhiggs said:

but wouldn't of NASA said something by now what is a point meteor

I would expect there to be reports had there been an impact so we can probably rule that out.

A point meteor is one which is heading straight towards us so appears as a flash rather than a streak across the sky.

23 minutes ago, alhiggs said:

just seen some old footage from shoemaker Levi 9 and what I saw was very close to fragment b July 17th 1994 if it was a fragment maybe not classed as important

I'm pretty sure that anything of that significance would have been picked up by other observers; there are enough people looking at Jupiter globally that someone else would have seen and reported it. I've not seen anything so far, but keep an eye out.

Head on meteor would still be my best guess.

Just now, Stu said:

I'm pretty sure that anything of that significance would have been picked up by other observers; there are enough people looking at Jupiter globally that someone else would have seen and reported it. I've not seen anything so far, but keep an eye out.

Head on meteor would still be my best guess.

yes with ursids around that area aswell I think point meteor that just happened to near jupiter

Archived