NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC 342 Another go at the Hidden Galaxy

tomato

4 hours of integration time in LRGB, over 2 nights, first night the moon was up and washing out the contrast, but I still got more detail in the galaxy by using these subs, even though it has made for a very noisy background.

This is a indeed a challenging subject, hope to get some more time on it now the Moon is on the wane, then I can dump the inferior frames.

Thanks for looking.

LRGB 12 x 300s each, Altair 102 mm APO, G2-8300, Mesu 200.

Calibrated and stacked in APP, processed in StarTools and PS, I need a copy of DAOMB?

IC342alldata.jpg

I was  just catching up on some processing last night when I saw your picture.   That number looks familiar ..... yes indeed, during a clear night about a fortnight ago I went slighty mad and had two scopes imaging the sky simultaneously.   I picked this object out from a 'Seasonal Guide' I found on the web, thinking it must be of the M-33 style of object, big and faint but will suddenly emerge from the fuzz upon stacking.

No, this one is a toughie... so your picture is excellent work indeed.   Here is my poor attempt,  56mins with 200pds.5a2e272367cdd_IC34256mins200pdsDSS1600.thumb.jpg.217f142a6e10e7e319f10cc3a21b8bdb.jpg

As with most DSO's..... I shall return to it.

Sean.

5 hours ago, tomato said:

Thanks for the comments. I am not sure if it is because we are viewing this through the plane of our own galaxy, but it seems a lot harder to get a decent image of this one compared to M101,  for example.

That is exactly the reason, if our view was not obstructed by our own Milky Way this would be one of the brightest galaxy targets in the northern sky.

I'm currently pointing my 6" RC  at this to top up some data I shot back in 2015/16, I've just hit the 17-hour mark in luminance, so it might be time to capture a little RGB :D

2 hours ago, johnrt said:

That is exactly the reason, if our view was not obstructed by our own Milky Way this would be one of the brightest galaxy targets in the northern sky.

I'm currently pointing my 6" RC  at this to top up some data I shot back in 2015/16, I've just hit the 17-hour mark in luminance, so it might be time to capture a little RGB :D

17 hours....wow, is there a law of diminishing returns with increasing integration time or can you never have enough? I must at least try to get to double figures.

Archived