Replacement tripod for Nexstar SLT or SW SynScan mount

Cosmic Geoff

The purpose of this project was to provide a sturdy semi-permanent levelled support pier for a Nexstar SLT GoTo mount.

If one does not find the standard portable tripod satisfactory, the only off-the-shelf solution seems to be to upgrade to a more substantial GoTo head (with dovetail) and tripod at significant cost.

If one has access to an engineering workshop, many solutions are possible, but a constraint is the non-standard bowl-like mount head with large hand knob on the underside.

The solution I eventually adopted was to obtain a spare bowl head and make wooden tripod legs for it. This is a relatively simple design which can be left out in the rain or re-positioned as required.  Cost including postage was about £40 for the head,  timber, aluminium strip and bolts. I got the head bowl from Astroboot.  Tools: pillar drill, electric router. The completed mount is pictured below. It is stiffer than the standard Stainless Steel tripod with legs at full extension, but not as stiff as an EQ-5. The wooden legs are 1.2m long with levellers at the tips. I levelled the tripod using a proper spirit level, the built in bubble serving as a check. On the first trial I aligned on the Moon in daylight and found Arcturus and Jupiter. Having the head cup already set up saves significant time.

Tripod1.thumb.jpg.215a57fe2842a8a29eb7c6a9480bd5e7.jpgTripod2.jpg.f4e4908cb2de52e6ab31c149a80f3cde.jpgTripod3.jpg.15a6e896690ba301091fb05b1cd3e713.jpg

Archived