Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just set up the new bins on the P-mount

13 minutes ago, Charic said:

Funny old thing, just comparing the weights between the Helios Apollo's,  Oberwerk Ultras's and the Orion Resolux units?

The DIY mount  looks solid/sturdy.

All three you mention are BA-8 type binoculars, and the 70mm types weigh just a little less than the Helios LightQuest 16x80. The Apollo 15x70 I had was a great workhorse, great optics, very nice to use, but the LightQuest is definitely better.

I've had the Apollo's but only briefly, needed to return them before any real testing took place, but all I ever read about BA-8's is positive. Still haven't decoded BA? 

I'm also still inclined to get the Oberwerk brand! but my mind and eyes are open to  any recommendations.

I just had the combo outside, and the results are very pleasing indeed. Stars are sharp out to at least 85-90% of the radius of the FOV . Views of the Pleiades and other open clusters were superb, what with the added stability from the mount. Really pleased with the views

6 minutes ago, Charic said:

I've had the Apollo's but only briefly, needed to return them before any real testing took place, but all I ever read about BA-8's is positive. Still haven't decoded BA? 

I'm also still inclined to get the Oberwerk brand! but my mind and eyes are open to  any recommendations.

Whats diferance between the Apollos and the Oberwerks ?

25 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

.....with the added stability from the mount.......

....I think a lot of folk miss out on this feature, especially on lower powered binoculars.
It makes so much difference.

My mount of choice uses the Manfrotto 222 trigger grip, steady as a rock, and  quick to move, perfect for my needs.

Archived