Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Helios LightQuest HR 16x80 binoculars have arrived!

Actually, a pair from FLO arrived a week ago, but despite very thick layers of bubble wrap the binoculars were out of collimation. A great shame as the view through individual tubes was excellent. I contacted FLO, and they immediately organized pick-up of the defective pair and sent out a replacement. That has just arrived, and it is in perfect collimation. 

IMG_20171207_202526.thumb.jpg.2d127bcad83728001bb29a3ee7b5c46c.jpgIMG_20171207_202547.thumb.jpg.cac53ba920acc436e95538826166a144.jpgIMG_20171207_202631.thumb.jpg.102ff656298d03b233e72c2dae916be3.jpg

Build quality is excellent, the eye relief generous. I tested it briefly on Capella, which managed to penetrate an otherwise perfect cloud cover, and I was very pleased how close to the edge of the FOV the image remained very sharp indeed. My impression is that these binoculars are sharper than the Opticron 16x80 Observation binoculars they replace.

I like the front lens caps, which fit snuggly, and don't fall out when removing the binoculars from their (pretty decent) case. The case looks pretty sturdy, the straps adequate, but no more. My only niggle about the case is that you cannot store the bins in them at my IPD setting (73 mm). This holds true for many binoculars, however. I will simply use the Lowe Pro camera bag I used for the Helios Apollo 15x70s I used to have.

If and when the weather clears, I will give a more extensive report, but first impressions are great.

Seriously nice bins you have there Michael, I've liked the look of this range since Steve's reviews. I'm glad the second pair have turned out to be spot on, and they sound very promising.

I've also received what I consider to be the baby version of these today - Helios Lightwing HR 8x42 ED. I'm hoping to give them a quick first light after the kids are in bed if it stays clear.

2 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Seriously nice bins you have there Michael, I've liked the look of this range since Steve's reviews. I'm glad the second pair have turned out to be spot on, and they sound very promising.

I've also received what I consider to be the baby version of these today - Helios Lightwing HR 8x42 ED. I'm hoping to give them a quick first light after the kids are in bed if it stays clear.

Hope you get some clear skies! If they are optically as sharp as these big ones, you should be in for a treat

3 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Chris, unless you are unlucky you should get a cold and windy look later, seeing is a bit off but with binoculars should be fine.

Thanks Alan, just got all wrapped up and headed out only to find it was cloudy and wet. I'll try again in a bit, fingers crossed :) 

Archived