Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Pro - Mains Power Supply - Will This Work?

36 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Thanks Ray.

What about this to power the HEQ5-Pro:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/lynx-astro-12v-dc-5amp-low-noise-mains-power-supply.html

So basically, plug an RCD device (such as the one from the OP) into the outlet in the house. Then plug the extension lead into it and run it out into the driveway. Then connect the above HEQ5-Pro psu (assuming it will be ok) and the one powering the dew controller both into it, and house it all in a weather-proof box. Does that sound about right? 

And what do you think of this for the extension cable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-WBXBFG10B-Outdoor-Weatherproof-Extension/dp/B0062GTL42/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1541258315&sr=1-1&keywords=outdoor+extension+cable+waterproof

Thanks again!

That looks like an absolutely perfect solution.  The powers supply is quite expensive for a switch-mode power supply, but it does look like a particularly good one, so should perform very well.

I like the little box a lot, it looks ideal.  May well invest in one of those myself :thumbright:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Geoff Lister said:

If your house electrical system has been fitted or updated in the last 15 years, it is quite likely that your socket outlets are already protected by an RCD in the consumer unit (fuse box).

Geoff

I image from my parents' house which is about 30 yrs old now. I think for the sake of £7 i'll just get the RDC device anyway. ?

48 minutes ago, Geoff Lister said:

If your house electrical system has been fitted or updated in the last 15 years, it is quite likely that your socket outlets are already protected by an RCD in the consumer unit (fuse box).

Geoff

Ugh, there's always something isn't there?! The FLO psu only has a 1m cable length from the brick to the DC Jack. 1m is definitely not long enough to reach up from the ground to the power-in jack of the mount. I suppose i could rest the weatherproof box on something, like a small stool, but then id' be worried about it falling off at some point. 

What about a 12v DC cable extension? Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-Female-Extension-Camera/dp/B01A9500XC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541264632&sr=8-4&keywords=12v+dc+cable+extension

6 minutes ago, Xiga said:

What about a 12v DC cable extension?

The Amazon advert does not give any indication of wire thickness; so difficult to know if the voltage drop would be low enough when slewing at maximum rate. Also, the 5.5mm OD power jacks come in 2 sizes of ID, 2.1mm and 2.5mm, and you need the correct one for best connection (A 2.1mm ID jack will not fit in a 2.5mm ID socket).

These are my power sources.

721796597_PowerSources-Annotated(R).jpg.2d29b4331db18538afa449d71b6b13ac.jpg

I found that the 12V lead from the power brick was too short, so I extended it with heavy-duty bell flex (white insulation shows up better in the dark). The other sources hang from the mount, and have shorter, thinner, wires.

These are some current measurements from my mounts.

1297563168_ConsumptionTable.jpg.435cf46da635c7e8c2c6707301e4a800.jpg

Geoff

3 hours ago, RayD said:

That looks like an absolutely perfect solution.  The powers supply is quite expensive for a switch-mode power supply, but it does look like a particularly good one, so should perform very well.

I like the little box a lot, it looks ideal.  May well invest in one of those myself :thumbright:

1 hour ago, Geoff Lister said:

The Amazon advert does not give any indication of wire thickness; so difficult to know if the voltage drop would be low enough when slewing at maximum rate. Also, the 5.5mm OD power jacks come in 2 sizes of ID, 2.1mm and 2.5mm, and you need the correct one for best connection (A 2.1mm ID jack will not fit in a 2.5mm ID socket).

These are my power sources.

721796597_PowerSources-Annotated(R).jpg.2d29b4331db18538afa449d71b6b13ac.jpg

I found that the 12V lead from the power brick was too short, so I extended it with heavy-duty bell flex (white insulation shows up better in the dark). The other sources hang from the mount, and have shorter, thinner, wires.

These are some current measurements from my mounts.

1297563168_ConsumptionTable.jpg.435cf46da635c7e8c2c6707301e4a800.jpg

Geoff

Ok, what about this DC cable extension:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcingmap-Female-Connectors-Security-2-1mmx5-5mm-Black/dp/B07F69XY6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541271405&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+dc+cable+2.1mm+extension+thick#customerReviews

It's the right size for the HEQ5-Pro, 2.1mm ID and 5.5mm OD. The description says 'Ultra Thick' and it says the cable diameter is 4.7mm. Does that count as thick enough do you think? 

Yes the extension DC cable  from sourcingmap should be fine. It says approx 10A max in the spec so allowing for exaggeration is thick enough. Some common DC extension cables use screened microphone cable and I have some that I wouldn't want to put 1A through. :smile:

I believe that sourcingmap stuff generally ships from China so you may have to wait 10 days or so for delivery. Someone on ebay may re-sell these with a mark-up if you want it quicker and are willing to pay the extra.

Alan 

11 minutes ago, symmetal said:

Yes the extension DC cable  from sourcingmap should be fine. It says approx 10A max in the spec so allowing for exaggeration is thick enough. Some common DC extension cables use screened microphone cable and I have some that I wouldn't want to put 1A through. :smile:

I believe that sourcingmap stuff generally ships from China so you may have to wait 10 days or so for delivery. Someone on ebay may re-sell these with a mark-up if you want it quicker and are willing to pay the extra.

Alan 

4 minutes ago, symmetal said:

This power supply is stated as having a 2.4m long output cable so you wouldn't need the extension and is cheaper than the FLO one.

Alan

Thanks Alan.

I think the 2.4m length quoted is for the whole device. It looks like the DC jack end is 1.2m long. Which is probably still cutting things a bit too tight. 

Also, i think these types of psu's are designed for indoor use? I think for peace of mind, i'd rather just go with the FLO one, as it specifically says it is designed for outdoor use in subzero conditions, and for the sake of another ~£30 i'd rather not take the chance. 

The sourcingmap cable extension looks good, although i'd obviously prefer not to wait weeks for one. Am currently browsing eBay to see if i can find an identical one quicker, although it's not easy as there are so many, and the descriptions aren't always that good. If anyone spots one please give me a shout!

12 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Thanks Alan.

I think the 2.4m length quoted is for the whole device. It looks like the DC jack end is 1.2m long. Which is probably still cutting things a bit too tight. 

Also, i think these types of psu's are designed for indoor use? I think for peace of mind, i'd rather just go with the FLO one, as it specifically says it is designed for outdoor use in subzero conditions, and for the sake of another ~£30 i'd rather not take the chance. 

The sourcingmap cable extension looks good, although i'd obviously prefer not to wait weeks for one. Am currently browsing eBay to see if i can find an identical one quicker, although it's not easy as there are so many, and the descriptions aren't always that good. If anyone spots one please give me a shout!

You could be right about the length description, but it seems an odd way to specify it as the mains cable is separate and could be replaced with a longer one if needed. 

I'm pretty sure all these type supplies have the same design and construction. If it's sitting in the box you indicated previously it's natural heat output will mean it's not at sub-zero temperatures internally but if you want to use the FLO one for peace of mind no problem. :smile:

Ensure the one you get does use a three pin mains connector like the ones that have been mentioned. This is not for safety earthing as they are Class 2 rated. It's to ensure a good radio emission interference figure.

Alan

3 hours ago, symmetal said:

This extension looks fine and is Amazon stocked. 

Alan

Thanks Alan!

So Max 5A is sufficient? The sourcingmap one is Max 10A, is there no real benefit in having the 10A cable?

The current rating of wires which aren't subject to regulations like house wiring is a bit hit and miss. If the actual diameter or CSA (cross sectional area) of the wiring cores isn't given the current rating could be that which causes a 20 degree rise in temperature above ambient or that which causes an 80 degree rise in temperature above ambient or maybe where the wire melts. :smile:

The 5A rated one specifies it uses 18AWG wires which is helpful. Here's a chart giving current ratings for AWG wire. The 'typical' rating for a single core is 9.5A and for a twin core is 7A. This is for the cable in open air. The sellers 5A rating is quite conservative and probably assumes the cable may be buried among other cables. Out in the open with your mount it will be fine.

The resistance of 18AWG is 22 ohms / km so your 1.5m cable (total core length 3m) will have a resistance of 0.066 ohms which at 5A will drop 0.33V. This may seem a lot but you can't really use any thicker wire on those little DC connectors and the power supply probably has the same size cable. The mount will only draw 2 to 3 amps max  when slewing so the cable drop on the extension will be around 0.15V which should be fine.

Alan

I bought the lynx astro PSU around a couple of months ago, and tbh I think for £40 it's a bit expensive considering the length of the cables. There's just no way to have the PSU stored in a weatherproof box on the ground, as has been said the cable from the mount to the brick is too short, so you have no choice other than to let it dangle, which would pull on the socket in the mount and loosen it, or put it on the accessory tray, the PSU itself has no rubber grips or anything so it slides about on the tray like glass on ice. So then you have to basically attach it to the tray / tripod somehow. 

May be a good PSU in terms of it's performance and robustness but this oversight is disappointing imo. Baader sell one for £50 with a much longer lead which I wish I had bought now. 

Archived