NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Plate Solving/alignment with Sky Safari 5?

jschusterman

Hey guys, I couldn't find an solid answer within the forums, so asking here... Has anyone successfully used Sky Safari 5 Pro to do plate solving/mount alignment? I have no problem connecting and controlling my mount (AVX) with Sky Safari on my Mac, but is there a way to do alignment in the program? So far, it looks like I'm forced to do the Nexstar 2 star alignment on the hand controller. If I try to click on Polaris for example (it won't let me actually click on or select the NCP), when I click "align to polaris", it just says it can't execute the command because the scope is "too far" from Polaris. Only way it'll do it is if I first do 2-star align on the hand controller. Thoughts?

Thanks!

- Josh

Pretty sure you need an aligned scope to use Sky Safari and that it doesn't connect with plate solving. Would like to be proved wrong but I plate solve in sequence generator to align before using sky safari to control scope if I want to do a visual session ( just stay with SGP if I'm imaging) .

True! I also have the Sky Safari Pro app.. but did never read or can't confirm it can also do plate solving.. You can SYNC your mount with it.. But for plate solving use SGP, or Sharcap or other software.. ☆ 

Archived