Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

jschusterman

Plate Solving/alignment with Sky Safari 5?

Hey guys, I couldn't find an solid answer within the forums, so asking here... Has anyone successfully used Sky Safari 5 Pro to do plate solving/mount alignment? I have no problem connecting and controlling my mount (AVX) with Sky Safari on my Mac, but is there a way to do alignment in the program? So far, it looks like I'm forced to do the Nexstar 2 star alignment on the hand controller. If I try to click on Polaris for example (it won't let me actually click on or select the NCP), when I click "align to polaris", it just says it can't execute the command because the scope is "too far" from Polaris. Only way it'll do it is if I first do 2-star align on the hand controller. Thoughts?

Thanks!

- Josh

Pretty sure you need an aligned scope to use Sky Safari and that it doesn't connect with plate solving. Would like to be proved wrong but I plate solve in sequence generator to align before using sky safari to control scope if I want to do a visual session ( just stay with SGP if I'm imaging) .

True! I also have the Sky Safari Pro app.. but did never read or can't confirm it can also do plate solving.. You can SYNC your mount with it.. But for plate solving use SGP, or Sharcap or other software.. ☆ 

Edited by artem

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JonCarleton
      OK, I get plate solving (maybe).  Your camera takes an image through the scope or guide scope and sends it to an Internet resolver that returns a message identifying where you are pointed.   If I have that more or less correct, then these questions remain:
      1.  What is the format of the return data? 
      2.  If one wanted to view the return data, where does it "live?"  Assume KStars/INDI/Ekos
      3.  This may seem a really basic question...but...What does it get me from an operational standpoint?  For example, does it update the pointing mechanism in some way or is it merely a verification?
      4.  What would you answer to complete the following statement: "You should use plate solving if you intend......"   or :  "You should avoid plate solving unless....."
      There is an equal probability that I have the whole concept wrong.  That is also OK, because I feel I am starting at the beginning with this particular concept and would rather be corrected now before I accumulate to much supposition on a flawed premise.  So...no answers too basic!

• By Dodger3k
      Hi all, looking for some help please! 🙏 I have a wedge for my 8SE and when using EQ North to align it, it says it is slewing to Vega but ends up all the way over at Polaris!?  Any ideas? 🤞🏻 Thanks in advance! 😊

I have updated the firmware, Mount is pointing at north, have inputted my latitude and longitude, I have tried picking the nearest city too and nothing seems to work! 😟
    • By PESKYWAABBIT
      So I take photos using BYEOS with my Canon DSLR. I have a Altair Astro guide camera hooked up to PHD2 which is plugged into the HEQ5 mount to correct for guiding. I have read about plate solving and I was curious. Does plate solving ONLY gives you the ability to get into the same place as a previous night by giving your EQMOD the right data to allow for easier multiple night data stacking and is not for guiding or part of the guiding mechanism itself.
      Say I want to start trying this plate solving malarky. Would I:
      Setup my scope, Polar align, 3 star align, Plate solve using a photo from my DSLR and not my Guide cam? and then continue to use PHD with guide cam to guide? 
      Any replies are much appreciated.

• By CrystalFox
      Hello guys,
      I recently got into astronomy so I bought my first telescope. I've read through several articles and the recommendation for a beginner's telescope (value/price) was Celestron Astromaster 130EQ-MD. I bought this from someone who was not really using it and it is in a very good condition. Prior to actually purchasing this, I've watched countless videos on how the telescope works, what needs to be done - latitude, RA/DEC alignment, polar alignment, etc..
      After reading through all available manuals and videos, I finally brought it home from the seller (they've had it for around 5 years but it wasn't used much). After setting up the tripod, mounting the telescope and familiarising myself with all the different knobs, I pointed the mount/telescope towards north. The first thing I had to do was setting up the latitude. Since I am based in London, the latitude is around 52 degrees. Afterwards, I had to align the declination axis so the telescope can be balanced. As I understand it, you should be able to move it to any position on the axis and it should stay in that position. If the front or rear was heavier, I would either pushing or pulling the telescope after unlocking the brackets holding it together. This is where the issues began, I could balance the telescope so it doesn't move while in the horizontal position, however, when pointing it towards north, it would exclusively lean towards one direction - to the left. If the telescope was pointing to north, north-east or east, it would pull towards the west all the time. It is probably easier to show it in the video. I've spent three days trying to balance the telescope by using different methods and it just would not work. 
      I've also tried balancing the RA axis first. This could be somehow done, but the declination axis would still pull the telescope to the left.
      It is extremely frustrating as I don't know what could be causing this. Balancing the telescope should be relatively easy from what I have heard - either push it or pull it depending on where the weight is. However, I have been really struggling to get it set-up.
      I would be thankful for any suggestions and please feel free to ask any questions so I can help with finding out what is wrong.

Thank you.
      VID_20190918_202940.mp4

• By PlanetGazer
      So I'm referring to the main astro-softwares that you use during your sessions on your phone or tablet, and found that most of people use mainly those two softwares on their phones. Laptop versions of the software are different products and are not the focus of this topic.
      So which do you use and why?

My experience:
      I personally have Stellarium plus, and the free version of SkySafarai, so I have an understanding of how the user-interface of both works, I have been researching the extra features in the SkySafari Pro, and have figured the following so far (please correct me if I'm wrong):
      * I'm aware that both let you control your GoTo telescopes
      * I personally find current version of Stellarium to be more user friendly and easier to navigate the sky manually , could be the configured settings though
      * SkySafari has more options to the search bar, e.g. "Tonight's Best" based on your location, also a menu of Messier catalog with a highlight of those currently visible at your time and location, others like best deep sky objects
      * SkySafari has this wonderful feature of creating an observing list, very helpful to plan your session and share and download with/from others
      * Stellarium Plus has a database of around 1.69 billion stars,while SkySafari 6 Pro has around 100 milion starts (don't think it's important as most of them aren't visible in amateur telescopes, I think I read somewhere that only 25 million stars are possible to observe with our telescopes, up to 15th mag, wonder if any of you have tried to push this limit)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.