Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7510 Small cluster in Cepheus

N3ptune

I give you my sketch of NGC 7510. I got there from approximately the red arrow on the map pointing the double star δ (Delta) which is a superb double star also, similar to Albiero and companion. 

ExfDQQo.jpg

Then traveled to the Wizard cluster, associated with nebulosity, some of it was visible NPB filtered but very faint, the cluster was there too, a nice stop. And before my arrival to my final destination, M52, I crossed NGC7510 a nice little target perfect for sketching, not too much stars.

It's close to a few bright star cloud #2, #1 a beautiful sector of stars to look at with low power.

What else can I say? The little 7510 was visible at 29x it looked like a small nebula, then I used my new 12mm Starguider (at last) on it at 83x. Everything was sharp and clean to produce a small sketch. I am very impressed with the BST Starguider, I loved it instantly it's a very good eyepiece, very good optics and very pleasant to use with the shape of it's adjustable eye cup. (thanks to the people who recommended them to me)

So 83x will reveal the small collection of faint stars forming NGC 7510 (in the middle), some stars inside are averted vision visible only. I always like these cute and small NGC clusters.

My sketch done with 203x1000 Newtonian again.

EO2vOms.jpg

Thanks for looking and good sky to all of you.

Thanks to all (: Glad you like the little sketch

@leo82 It's the Cambridge double star atlas (Wil Tirion's mapping). Very good atlas, it has all the major DSO there and many double stars indicated of course. You have many carbon stars too, it's my only atlas I use all the time.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/the-cambridge-double-star-atlas-2nd-edition.html

Excelsior Dave !

1 hour ago, N3ptune said:

Thanks to all (: Glad you like the little sketch

@leo82 It's the Cambridge double star atlas (Wil Tirion's mapping). Very good atlas, it has all the major DSO there and many double stars indicated of course. You have many carbon stars too, it's my only atlas I use all the time.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/the-cambridge-double-star-atlas-2nd-edition.html

Excelsior Dave !

Thanks, N3ptune - you must have the latest copy. I have the 2009 or something copy of that, too. It is excellent! I have a large collection of many star-maps. Some go on for 15GB and more.

See you 'round the glassworks,

Excelsior!

Dave :D

12 hours ago, leo82 said:

Thanks. I was umming and arring which atlas to get and you have made my mind up now. Just off to order it now!

You won't regret it, it's a beautiful and effective book, full of material and pleasant to look at. (including more then enough DSOs and double stars)If you don't have one, it's inexpensive, the David Chandler's night sky planisphere, a very good and effective constellation wheel to use alongside the atlas.

sAskqc7.gif

(Note: You need to select the wheel with the right latitude, mine is 40d - 50d in Canada but could be different in UK like:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/david-chandler-night-sky-planisphere.html

@Dave In Vermont

Yes, I have the Second edition from 2015, it will last all my life probably. This week end, I'll look at your 80 double star list you gave us on AC and try to locate a few of these inside my atlas for my next observation. It's a great list, custom selections.

I managed to 'luck-out' when someone posted the full 2009 edition - free of charge - right after the 2015 hit the market. I didn't realize the guy who posted it wasn't supposed to. So I have it! Umm...Oops?

But here's the same page as what fascinated me in the Cepheus neighborhood:

5a17aa5ced0cd_CDSA5W.thumb.png.469bf86f7c8d506dd8925009170e0fb1.png

Excellent charts! In both editions.

Dave

The cambridge star atlas is nice; I used it intensively for years on my desk to prepare observations; on the field I used the pocket sky atlas. But last year I bought the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas (comes in paper and waterproof edition), and the magnitude (as in: number) of objects in there is just incredible! Objects are also noted in 4 types of thickness; depending on what aperture or sqm you might need to actually see it. My Cambridge atlas is now rarely used anymore. 

CDFB6E66-14ED-4424-8EE6-971447C06BA2.jpeg

Well ok but I think Leo82 just bought the Cambridge Double Star Atlas, I am sure he will enjoy it because it's great too. After almost 2 years I still use it every time I go outside, mine paid for itself very quickly.

:icon_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived