Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trough Of Bowland - Suitable Spot To Observe From?

cloudsweeper

The Trough/Forest Of Bowland (NE of Preston) is the nearest decent dark site to me, and I know its roads well, but not from an astro-observing perspective!

Can anyone please recommend a location in the region where it's suitable to set up - somewhere safe, with good views, away from traffic?

Doug.

I remember marshaling the Tour of Britain a few years back and we did a KoM near Dunsop Bridge. Just a little NE of the village is a high point with a car park where I thought it would be good for setting up my dob. It's still a little near the road but the back end of the car park is away from traffic, and I doubt there's much goes over there in the middle of the night. It's a truly beautiful area - we loved it there, shame it was just a fleeting visit. :)

There are several designated locations mentioned on the dark sky discovery site Doug, that you may perhaps already be aware of such as Beacon Fell, Slaidburn visitors car parks. Follow the links.

http://forestofbowland.com/Star-Gazing

Advice such as the two posted contributions (near Dunsop bridge / Caton Moor Wind Farm) might be preferable for more remote locations. 

A good few years back I would occasionally go into the Forest / Trough of Bowland walking, running, I have family that live near Poulton close to the River Wyre, so can see the hills and often thought that on a visit I could maybe take a scope. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/11/2017 at 06:35, cloudsweeper said:

The Trough/Forest Of Bowland (NE of Preston) is the nearest decent dark site to me, and I know its roads well, but not from an astro-observing perspective!

Can anyone please recommend a location in the region where it's suitable to set up - somewhere safe, with good views, away from traffic?

Doug.

Hi Doug,

If you're willing to forfeit low horizons, there's a nice very dark observing spot at Tarnbrook. I've observed from there several times with a few friends. There's a wide grass verge on the right-hand side as you drive along the road where you can park and set up your scope.

2017-12-15 17.33.03.png

Archived