Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fisrt go at M31

jgs001

My first stack of this was a bit rubbish. After checking all the frames I found that 12 of the 20 x 120s frames had tracking errors. So I ditched the frames that had tracking errors prior to stacking (that'll teach me to check all the frames before dumping them in_. This has ended up as 8x120, 1x90, 1x60, 1x45 and 1x30 with 3 darks for the 120s frames. All shot at iso1600, with the 450d at prime focus on the Vista 80sLT. Stacked in DSS and a bit of NC LP and colour grad removal.

I'm not sure my little scope and mount are really able to do this sort of thing, but it was a very worthwhile test. I'm quite happy with how this has turned out in the end. I think it really needs a lot more data to pull out the edges, but I don't think I have the resolution to get any more detail.

m31.jpg

That's a good first attempt, John - M31 seems at first to be an easy target but believe me, it isn't! I have literally just destroyed an hour of subs. of M31 taken this weekend s I just could not get the core right - sometimes I can sometimes I can't but getting the balance right is not easy so you have done rather well!

Thanks very much Steve and Jon. I can post up the really dodgy one if you'd like to see how not to do it :smiley:. I got it all processed in DSS and was just converting it in PS when I noticed it. Having got that far, I figured I might as well finish it off for my blog as part of the trials and tribulations :bino2:

Good first attempt John.

It might be big and bright but it is also very difficult to image properly, I am still trying to get a decent image, it needs lots of time at various exposures to capture the faint detail without burning out the core, just get lots and lots of subs and it will slowly develop.

Brendan

Archived