Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wheels for new R/O observatory?

Phil Edmonds

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Phil Edmonds said:

Thanks Guys.  Hehe, I'm kind of a one-man band, don't like the sound of a committee deciding where I go and don't go :-)

Any decision-making body should be composed of an odd number of members and three is too many...

:icon_mrgreen:lly

I am also just beginning my observatory build. For the wheels and track I have chosen:

Wheels:  B&Q  TENTE FIXED CASTOR 45MM    product code 3700001799978 price £2.14 each  rated as 40kg each and I am using 8 of them for a 6 foot roof

Rails: B&Q NEVA HALF WOODEN FENCE POST 70X35X1800MM    product  3663602942825  £7 each and I am using two on each side for a total length of just under 12 foot See picture.

I looked at Aluminium rails but during a wander round B@Q I found these wood posts with grooves in them. I tried the wheels in store and it looks fine. Added advantage that they can also form part of my Obs structure. 

Max

Slotted post.png

1 hour ago, maxchess said:

I am also just beginning my observatory build. For the wheels and track I have chosen:

Wheels:  B&Q  TENTE FIXED CASTOR 45MM    product code 3700001799978 price £2.14 each  rated as 40kg each and I am using 8 of them for a 6 foot roof

Rails: B&Q NEVA HALF WOODEN FENCE POST 70X35X1800MM    product  3663602942825  £7 each and I am using two on each side for a total length of just under 12 foot See picture.

I looked at Aluminium rails but during a wander round B@Q I found these wood posts with grooves in them. I tried the wheels in store and it looks fine. Added advantage that they can also form part of my Obs structure. 

Max

Slotted post.png

Just a few things to think about.... a u-shape wooden track will collect water, and that won't do it or the wheels any good.  Wood shrinks, expands and warps, and that potentially causes problems with rolling.  More contact between wheels and track and restraining walls means more friction and so harder moving.  More wheels means it is harder to overcome inertia.

Sorry to sound negative, but my first roof rolling mechanism caused me so much grief that I wouldn't want  anyone to suffer the same way! The new one with gate wheels and just works ?  Best astro purchase!

Helen

Its like anything you have to live within your own means, the ones you went for are a superior solution but there are of course cheaper ways to do it if your budget is very tight. I dont regret the v-rails even for a second, its just so easy to push smooth, quite and has a pro feel and look to it. I did consider the wood grove option, but worried about it collecting water and other rubbish.

Archived