Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wheels for new R/O observatory?

Phil Edmonds

Hi All,

Does anyone have any ideas for some grooved wheels for my new roll-off-roof observatory. I'm thinking grooved caster-type wheels which will run on some aluminium bar.

I can find some what would do the job, but they're works of art coming in at about 20 quid each, and I need 8! Anyone got any cheaper ideas?

Many thanks, Phil, Salisbury.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Helen!

Hum (pondering...) maybe I could get away with 6, the roof is only 8' long, what do you think? But that's still 60 quid, and although these wheels look high quality, 6 of them would add 12lb to the weight the wooden runners I plan have to bear (and also to the weight I have to shift every night). I've been trying to find some nylon wheels (thinking also less corrosion problems).

Thoughts? Ta, Phil.

The ease of rolling will make any extra weight not an issue.  I run my 11 foot on 6 (and I probably could have made do with 4 if it wasn't for the fact my one wheel runs off the end of the track).   I started with standard screwfix casters and had problem after problem, compression, friction, rolling straight etc.  Changing to metal track and wheels (get both!) changed all of that - best thing I did for the roof.  Now I can roll the roof with one hand. Seriously, in the grand scheme of things the small extra cost is great value for money!

Helen 

This is great advice, thanks so much. 3 wheels on each side it is then. What do reckon about this for the tracks (thinking about corrosion, 10 feet of the tracks will be outside the shed and exposed to the elements):

https://www.metals4u.co.uk/aluminium/c1/t-section/c101/19.05mmx19.05mmx3.2mm-(34x34-x18)/p834?showvat=true&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyvXPBRD-ARIsAIeQeoF_PWl1HefU-g9OMSP7OQOHkh53rYcKKNq_16DjpVQVQPKIF41FKK8aAuJXEALw_wcB

Thanks, Phil.

1 minute ago, Phil Edmonds said:

This is great advice, thanks so much. 3 wheels on each side it is then. What do reckon about this for the tracks (thinking about corrosion, 10 feet of the tracks will be outside the shed and exposed to the elements):

https://www.metals4u.co.uk/aluminium/c1/t-section/c101/19.05mmx19.05mmx3.2mm-(34x34-x18)/p834?showvat=true&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyvXPBRD-ARIsAIeQeoF_PWl1HefU-g9OMSP7OQOHkh53rYcKKNq_16DjpVQVQPKIF41FKK8aAuJXEALw_wcB

Thanks, Phil.

Go with the tracks which Brundle sell for the wheels, they are circular profile to match the wheels.  They are designed for outdoor use -I've had no problems at all with wheels or track.

Helen

I think it is this http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/05GD289__3_Metre_Bolt_Down_Track_for_20mm_Rd_Grvd_Wheels

My advice would be to contact Brundle and explain what you want and they will advise - very helpful!

I've just closed my roof and see that I do have 8 wheels not 6! - but my obs is bigger and as I said I have the overhang issue.  

Helen

I agree with Helen and Martin - with some vexing experiences before using these wheels! Ours are the ones in Martin's link and run on the vee section rails supplied. They have solved all our problems.

Our big robotic shed is very big, 3M x 4M, housing 4 scopes. After lots of hassle with the previous wheels we converted recently to the vee section steel ones. Rolling resistance has reduced to about one tenth of what it was and the roof tracks very straight. This is extremely important becaue it is remotely operated and motorized by a rack and pinion gate mover on one side. Despite being pulled from one side the roof rolls straight and true. Over time I'll convert all our own observatories to these wheels. Both robotic sheds now have them. I wouldn't buy anything else!

59ff2be6c2aa9_Veerailscloseup.jpg.c06a3a2ce1f44ce781bf0b97abb0755f.jpg

Olly

On 05/11/2017 at 00:29, Phil Edmonds said:

Hi All,

Does anyone have any ideas for some grooved wheels for my new roll-off-roof observatory. I'm thinking grooved caster-type wheels which will run on some aluminium bar.

I can find some what would do the job, but they're works of art coming in at about 20 quid each, and I need 8! Anyone got any cheaper ideas?

Many thanks, Phil, Salisbury.

v track    http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/search?query=0587604000,,just emailed about the wheels,if they are galvanised or not

Ok I have a very solidly built roof on my obsy with 4 x wheels on a 6ft x 6ft and you can push it off with your little finger, its overkill in terms of weight handling but 4 is kinda the minimum lol. 

I use the FH Brundel galvanized V-track. 

The ease of rolling is not the factor here, the important thing is how well the frame needs to be supported so it does not sag between the supporting wheels.

That is also a function of how well you build your roof and the size of the timber you use.  You do not have to (nor should you) place the wheels at the corners of the roof, place them in 1/5th of the way towards the center and it reduces the span. I would think that when using a 4 inch frame that you would easily go up to 8ft without needing more than 4 wheels.  I would probably go with 6 past 8ft up to 12 foot and 8 for over 12ft up to 16 foot. 

just my thoughts. But for a 8 x 8 more than 6 would be a little crazy in my opinion. 

I thought that my "standard brown" wardrobe(?) castors would have broke (sic) by now!
But they *still* keep on trucking! I just add ever more grease to the U-channel in which
they run. Not a pretty sight... a brown "gunge" of various pollutions, dead insects etc. :p

In that sense the rail might be a CLEANER solution... Or a tad harder to align? I can still
move mine with one hand (modest leaning into it)! But no big "issues" I once feared. :)

I have vee! Probably doesn't matter.

In terms of the number of wheels, what is the objective driving the decision? For us, the whopping 3 metre by 4 metre roof, made of timber, needs supporting reasonably frequently to avoid sag. My next biggest, 2.2 metre square, runs happily on 4 wheels. My engineering hunch (no more than that) is that for tracking precision fewer beats more. Lots of pressure on one wheel will make it go where its relationship with the rail says it should go. If you turn 4 wheels into eight you risk creating a committee. This way! That way! Take a vote!

:icon_mrgreen:lly

Archived