Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ8 running side by side dual scopes....

swag72

With the EQ8 having the encoders, is it easy to run it side by side dualled? I'd need to run with the scopes at 90 degrees difference to where the encoders think they are...... can I just do a quick align and it will then know where it is and problem solved?

I've not had any issues with the Avalon or Mesu as I just aligned and that was that.

I thought you were running your scopes on something more fancy than an EQ8....

I am running two scopes side by side on my EQ8. I have a vague recollection of when I first tried it out it moved the scopes to horizontal position when I asked it to go to the home position. If I remember it right I solved it by turning off the mount, then loosening the clutches and turning it 90°. When I then started it up again the first question asked by the hand control is "Start from home position?" and answering "yes" solved the problem. I think that is what I did, and in any case it has known its home position ever since. I have read on the net that some have unscrewed the puck and turned it 90° but I am quite sure I never had to do something that drastic.

EQ8 installed.jpg

27 minutes ago, gorann said:

I thought you were running your scopes on something more fancy than an EQ8....

I am running two scopes side by side on my EQ8. I have a vague recollection of when I first tried it out it moved the scopes to horizontal position when I asked it to go to the home position. If I remember it right I solved it by turning off the mount, then loosening the clutches and turning it 90°. When I then started it up again the first question asked by the hand control is "Start from home position?" and answering "yes" solved the problem. I think that is what I did, and in any case it has known its home position ever since. I have read on the net that some have unscrewed the puck and turned it 90° but I am quite sure I never had to do something that drastic.

The EQ8 will be running my dual rig..... I am sure that it not being fancy won't be a problem ?

Thanks for that info..... I didn't really fancy taking the saddle off and moving it, so I hope it will be fairly simple ??

Hmm wasn't there an option added to handset for 90 setup in a later update? Not used mine for a long time. I did same as Goran when I tried it. You might also want to set the ascom park position if you're using Eqmod (utilities) once you've set it up. I also run mine with encoders disabled (set in eqmod).

Here's some snips.. chopped out the site location coordinates obviously ;)

Mines setup for ACP.. so side of pier reporting style & ACP handles guiding so I haven't messed about much with eqmod settings. TBH I don't think its much (if anything) different to how I had it when running the eq6. The Set Ascom Park pos. is under scripts folder. I have to park horizontal to clear roof. Although I set different positions in eqmod my horizontal position is set as the ascom home one so when ACP issues a park it goes there. Obviously run the script when the mount is in the position you want to call home :).

Balancing is fun.. one of the reasons I gave up with the triple & dual shooter faffing about when I first got the mount. As the motors offset the balance you have to "3D" balance.. I just got it balanced at meridian & west & tell ACP to only use targets when in those locations.

There's lots of stuff on the yahoo forum if you've not been there yet.. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SkywatcherEQ8/conversations/messages

eqmod_snip2.png.6423ff17407b7e1b031687ce0d281f0c.pngeqmod_snip1.png.d180d6ea44bfe1879394012546bdb2cc.pngeqmod_snip3.png.fa8fe93cede03077e94b58c15edb1455.png

Just make sure you get the latest version supporting the EQ8

I'm still running V2.00i as theres only gamepad updates in the latest 2 versions..

####################################

EQASCOM V2.00k
    disable gamepad poll option added to ini file

EQASCOM V2.00j
    Exception handling on gampad read.

EQASCOM V2.00i
    Fix to ASCOM rightAscensionRate southern hemisphere handling

EQASCOM V2.00h
    Change to ASCOM rightAscensionRate handling when returing to sidereal - now explicit sidereal restart is triggered.

EQASCOM V2.00g
    Fixes to PPEC

EQASCOM V2.00f
    Tracking write exception whilst parked supressed for ACP's benefit.
    COM interface to read hardware encoders
    ASCOM commandstring interface to read hardware encoders

EQASCOM V2.00e
    features list shown on get button press;
    ASCOM commandstring interface added for driving SNAP ports.
    detection of polar scope led changed to support older mounts.

EQASCOM V2.00d
    more fixes to encoder/disable; PPEC and SNAP port funcitons added; comms log interface reworked.

EQASCOM V2.00c
    fix to encoder/disable - click event wasn't being picked up

EQASCOM V2.00b
    support for extended mount functions: Encoders enable/disable; LED brighness; comss log.

EQASCOM V2.00a
    New eqcntrl.dll

8 hours ago, swag72 said:

OK thanks Olly...... I'll give it some internet welly when I am back home and not on hotel internet. ?

@Zakalwe - Steve can you offer any light on this?

Hi Sara...you got it then?

From memory, you can define a custom park position in the handset. If you're using EQASCOM and/or SGP then you shoudn't have any problems. I've heard of people taking the saddle off and rotating it 90 degrees. Personally, I never did that and never quite understood the rationale.

I always park to my current position....if you park to a predetermined position, I hope its not just mine....but mine slews to roughly that position, not exact.....so I always have to do a 1 star align before using it that way...now I just switch on, load my "alignment model" in EQMod and go, no aligning.....

In fact, if you build your "alignment model" with the scopes mounted at 90 degrees, what does the mount care? Surely it will just carry on as per usual? 

I'm calling it the "alignment model" because its raining and I don't want to go out to startup my obs to see what its really called :-)

Archived