Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Elephant HaRGB with Star 71 and 100D

StargeezerTim

This took hours and hours to process and I'm still not fully satisfied. All comments on how to improve it welcome. The main problem was I seemed to develop some lime green colouring. I got rid of most of it with SCNR but there is still a bit there and its now a bit too Magenta for my liking! Apart from that, I'm happy...

20 x 10 min Ha, iso 1600, 12nm Ha filter, 20 X 5 min RGB, iso 1600, flats, bias, dithered, Stacked in DSS and processed in PS, with a little help from Pixinsight Lite (DBE and SCNR).

It does seem to me that combining Ha and RGB for this type of DSO seems to offer a much cleaner and overall better quality image, but my processing skills do need to improve...

59f5e38968d6c_Elephantcombinedfinal.thumb.png.0b807a6b6faa9903b252e1f4072857f9.png

Edit...here is an extreme version (just a levels and saturation tweak)

59f5e31df310a_Elephantcombinedfinalextreme.thumb.png.61587c15cd0504dc54268a09163abcde.png

Don't beat yourself up. It's all psychological, I have the same issue "my images are not as good as other peoples images" But when you have spent hours picking out the fine detail, it's the old adage "you can't see the wood for the trees" 

That's a great image. 

Steve

Thanks all for the kind words of encouragement. I am very pleased with this one and delighted at how the Ha filter has opened up more possibilities for me and my trusty Canon! I am, by nature, an obsessive perfectionist which has it's pro's and con's... One of the con's is that I will never be fully satisfied and tinker for far too long. Cest la vie...

Archived