Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Altair Astro Wave 115 EDT APO 2017 out of the box

So, I decided that it was now the right time to upgrade my scope. I was torn between something like the GSO/Altair 8" RC or a 100 - 120 refractor, preferably an APO. I quickly ruled out the RC route as I do both imaging and observing and the weight of an RC would push my mount to its limit so decided on a refractor. Then the fun started. There are so many good refractors out there within my budget that it took me a couple of weeks of research to narrow it down to a choice between the Explore Scientific 127 triplet APO or the Altair Astro Wave 115 EDT APO. Looking on this and other forums, there is a  clear consensus that, although the ES 127 is a very capable instrument, the AA 115 would probably be the better choice. That was confirmed after reading the Olly Penrice review of AA 115 on this Forum and so an order was duly placed for this scope, a star diagonal and the Planostar 1.0x Field Flattener with RVO (who also confirmed my choice of the AA 115). So, after a weekend away visiting family, I arrived home to this

59eca8cab0d3e_NewScope1.jpg.874624ca6d3a5836f170423465069fd9.jpg

The star diagonal and field flattener appear to be very well built and both have a very solid feel to them. On opening the main box I found another box inside and inside that a carry case. Although the carry case is described as "packaging only" and is provided with this telescope to protect it during shipping, the case is reasonably solid and would certainly suffice to protect the scope during transportation.

59ecac66bac4b_NewScope4.jpg.9bf71179eb87778fb46c3ab909714621.jpg59ecac6725353_NewScope5.jpg.9c07e9638e4e1f654ee9be25d190b8a8.jpg

On opening the case there is a test report for the lens that indicates this example has a Strehl ratio 0.952 (although it doesn't mean a great deal to me I believe this ratio is indicative of a high quality lens). On removing the scope from the case, it feels very solid and the surface finish of the optical tube is to a very high standard. The focuser is a rack and pinion with 10:1 reduction and feels very sooth. There is a locking screw on the bottom of the focuser and the whole focuser can be rotated to find the most comfortabvle viewing position. I image with a full frame Nikon DSLR which is quite weighty so field tests will reveal if it can hold focus when set up for imaging and imaging directly overhead.

59ecac6786224_NewScope6.jpg.aa9481232143c60c8bdc7f6b3c5d9af0.jpg59ecac67e4f38_NewScope7.jpg.1792027932fcb276dfe311aa497cfca6.jpgNew Scope 8.jpg

The tube rings are CNC machined and, like the rest of the scope appear to be very well made. A Vixen style docetail is fitted as standard but each ring has 5 threaded holes top and bottom so fitting a Losmandy style dovetail should be straight forward. I checked the weight of the scope straight out of the box and it weighed in at 5.7Kg. With my ST80 guide scope, the field flattener and my DSLR fitted the weight will be around the 10 - 11Kg mark, which my NEQ6 Pro should handle with ease.

Next task is to remove my faithful SW 200PDS Newtonian from the mount and install the Altair. The weather here on the Cumbrian coast has not been too kind recently and the next few days doesn't look too promising so first light might be some time away. I will post again once I've had a chance to use the scope in anger.

Keith.

Archived