Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Andromeda! (WIP)

Here is my first go at the andromeda galaxy. Only 25 mins total exposure, so just a work in progress.:happy11:

Image details:

Canon 5d MkII

12x128 seconds, 12 darks, 16 flats.

processed in PS and lightroom

photographed from a light polluted area with no light pollution filter.

59ebb6e17578f_AndromedaWIP.thumb.jpg.e6740b3dc927a1f28fb8aa947f7601c7.jpg

Any constructive criticism welcome! 

58 minutes ago, bobro said:

Looks to be a strong gradient - light pollution (as you say) or the Moon perhaps? A light pollution filter might be an idea though it depends on the colours of the light pollution.

I was thinking about getting a light pollution filter, I just don't know which would be the best. But I have been thinking about the neodymium filter, any idea how that functions for astrophotography?

8 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

I have been thinking about the neodymium filter, any idea how that functions for astrophotography?

It depends so much on the colours in the light pollution e.g. If it is coming from a city then it is likely to be broadband and no filter will block it. Alternatively if it comes from sodium streetlights then it can be blocked.

5 hours ago, bobro said:

It depends so much on the colours in the light pollution e.g. If it is coming from a city then it is likely to be broadband and no filter will block it. Alternatively if it comes from sodium streetlights then it can be blocked.

Most of my local street lights are sodium. And the light dome coming from the city appears to be orange.

15 minutes ago, Starwiz said:

I bought an Astronomik CLS clip-in filter last year and it improved my images immensely.

John

Thank you, but I'm leaning towards an all purpose filter. One that I could also just use with an eyepiece. But if that is downright the best option then that is what I will do.

Mainly for info - if a general light pollution filter isn't enough, a UHC filter can be halfway towards narrowband imaging and simple to use. This type of filter is mainly for nebulae and I've had good results using a low cost one (1.25" version) : https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20171022123455&SearchText=angeleyes+uhc

The image below shows my attempt at the Crescent Nebula with/without a UHC filter, though the aim was to lift it out of the sky background rather than reduce light pollution.

UHC_comparison.jpg

23 minutes ago, bobro said:

Mainly for info - if a general light pollution filter isn't enough, a UHC filter can be halfway towards narrowband imaging and simple to use. This type of filter is mainly for nebulae and I've had good results using a low cost one (1.25" version) : https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20171022123455&SearchText=angeleyes+uhc

The image below shows my attempt at the Crescent Nebula with/without a UHC filter, though the aim was to lift it out of the sky background rather than reduce light pollution.

UHC_comparison.jpg

Ok, but these are really mostly Nebula filters, am I correct? 

What is a cheap 2" LP filter I could get? The skywatcher one is cheap, but how his the quality?

On 22/10/2017 at 23:28, Galen Gilmore said:

What is a cheap 2" LP filter I could get?

This is the same as the Baader neodymium I believe. Probably the same factory- certainly the same difficult to open plastic cases! I have one and it works well on the edge of a small town; the orange mush is gone. HTH

Try a free trial of 'gradient exterminator' for photoshop.

Basically you put a selection around any objects like the galaxies, invert the selection and run it at near the beginning of processing. It will get rid of the gradient and help balance the overall colour.

This is how it does on a screen grab of your image, used with the original data at an earlier stage it would do better and be less noisy/less banding:

temp.png.fc1c789ca2ce472f9923c83259cb4ffb.png

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Try a free trial of 'gradient exterminator' for photoshop.

Basically you put a selection around any objects like the galaxies, invert the selection and run it at near the beginning of processing. It will get rid of the gradient and help balance the overall colour.

This is how it does on a screen grab of your image, used with the original data at an earlier stage it would do better and be less noisy/less banding:

temp.png.fc1c789ca2ce472f9923c83259cb4ffb.png

Ayyyy.

I have try for myself! :evil6:

When you say free trial...That means it cost money?!?!? :eek:

Just kidding, but that in combination with a LP filter seems it can really help my images. Thanks for sharing.

Archived