Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Does every astronomer need a plossl?

JOC

It's is slightly off my original topic, but as a general observation from someone owning a variety of different EP's - I think having a lot of different manufacturers to pick from has some advantage on a dark night.  Without needing a light I know which one I have picked up from my box just by touch and shape!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use to have a full set of Meade 5000 eyepieces, in the SP and SWA, later most of the UWA range too. When I used the Meade 5000 SP 60 degree FOV I was more than pleased as i was using a meade SC 12inch scope, which is F 10. However, these went as i caught TV fever, I later borrowed a couple though not the 12mm, it was the 9mm and 20mm. By this time I had faster scopes and I was stunned how awful they were in my F4.3 Dob. I would keep the 11mm as I have one and it is sharp as a razor, the good thing about buying TeleVue is, even if you change your scope the FOV will still be sharp, apart from coma in some scopes and that is not the fault of the eyepiece.  

On 21 October 2017 at 11:16, John said:

The OP wears glasses when observing I believe. Many 82 and 100 degree eyepieces (which I do love using in my dob :icon_biggrin: ) have eye relief which is a little tight for many glasses wearers.

Word. I love my XW10mm. Not as wide as my 13mm T1 but way more easy to use. Beats my Radian 10mm so would be better than a Delos or Delite. No kidney beans with the Pentax. 

• 3 months later...
On 20/10/2017 at 14:41, JOC said:

........would the TV Plossl be a great loss? 

Only you can decide!
When I started out, it was my desire/intention to have/own a Plössl set. I thought they were essential, but I knew less back then! 
It was going to be a Japanese Meade set, but check out my signature for eyepieces past and present?  Some of those sold are still highly regarded by some folk, but until you try them for yourself, you'll never know!
I've no regrets selling those eyepieces, and more than satisfied with the eyepieces that remain.
Of the eyepieces chosen I  favoured the Revelation Plössl's over all the other Plössl's and Ortho's and nothing has bettered my 60° BST ED's.
I only own the William optics 6mm, because I don't have a 6mm Starguider, in-fact  I would sell the SPL's tomorrow if I could own a 6mm Starguider, yet there's nothing wrong with the SPL's? The Plössl's could go too, but something says I should still keep a set? Maybe I could put them in the new display cabinet, as their getting little use in the scope due to the conditions !!!

Currently own the top 3 TV ones - 55, 40 & 32. Also a Bresser 25 that came with my dob. The TVs were chosen as finder eps with large eye relief. I have not used the Bresser yet. 

Not sure what design some others I own might be. Maybe my 32 Eudiascopic is a Plossl with mods? 

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

Not sure what design some others I own might be. Maybe my 32 Eudiascopic is a Plossl with mods?

It's generally considered either a pseudo-Masuyama or Zeiss Astroplanokular 5 element design.  Conceptually, it's similar to a Televue style Plossl (concave surfaces of the doublets facing outward) and a fifth double convex lens in the middle of the two doublets making for very well corrected 2-1-2 50 degree eyepeice.  I'm guessing most 5 element "super" or "modified" Plossls are variations of this design.

Archived