Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polar scope on AVX?

Alan White

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

ASPA is ok once you get used to it. I could get a good PA using ASPA in about 15mins - takes 5mins with Polemaster now.

Peter

If I had the available funds, the Polemaster or similar would be the option of choice, austerity has hit hobby funds, so the austerity versions wins.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 13:13, Filroden said:

ASPA can only work if the scope knows how it is aligned. That's why you need to do a star alignment first.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 13:16, Olsin said:

Then i hadn't misunderstood the manual..:wink2:

I revisited this in the Celestron manual last night. I think where I'm at odds with this is, I have been used to doing a manual polar alignment because my first mount didn't have go-to capability. From what I understand from reading about the ASPA, you do a so-so star alignment just to "tell" the mount which way its pointed, basically. Then you accurize that with the ASPA, using the mount's go-to capability, and then fine-tune your star alignment, like you might do anyway after visiting a few objects. Maybe that's what Celestron figured most would do, and why the AVX doesn't come with a PA scope, although it has a spot for one. My other mount, an Orion Astroview, comes with the PA scope since that's the only way you can get an accurate alignment.

I'll give the ASPA a try next time out, and see how accurate I can get and how long it takes. I can get a manual PA in about 5 minutes, using the PA scope, and a very good star alignment with the go-to, in less than ten, if the sky is clear enough to get a two-star and one calibration star. I'll compare the results.

I tried the ASPA method last Friday night. I thought it was a bit of a PITA, and took me longer than the method I've been using. Navigating the handset is still rather time-consuming to me. I got a good alignment, but no better than I've been getting doing a good manual PA before doing s 2-star alignment with one or two calibration stars.

On 24/10/2017 at 16:44, Alan White said:

And now I have a Polar scope I see the problem, a mount that when a Polar scope is fitted is unusable with the manufacturer's bolts, what a stupid bit of design or lack of design by Celestron!
I will get a suitable bolt made up to resolve this.

AS to Polar scope alignment, surely its better than best guess through the open bore?

ASPA no doubt will enter my life one day very soon, sounds like a royal pain at the start.

It's annoying isn't it ?

The manufacturer clearly put a lot of time and effort into the AVX design and it's pretty good in many areas. But they messed this bit up !

15 hours ago, cuivenion said:

If you already have a guide camera you could try the Sharpcap polar alignment routine. Its similer to Polemaster but it uses your guidescope camera.

Thanks, but I don't and I am broke, hence why the cheapest option was taken.

On 10/24/2017 at 17:44, Alan White said:

And now I have a Polar scope I see the problem, a mount that when a Polar scope is fitted is unusable with the manufacturer's bolts, what a stupid bit of design or lack of design by Celestron!
I will get a suitable bolt made up to resolve this.

Sorry Alan, i've only just noticed this.

Yes you're absolutely correct. That badly thought through design bears all the hallmarks of a design team that didn't really give a toss. That amongst other things, is one of the reasons i'm reluctant to consider buying anything from Celestron again..

Why do you need to get new bolts made. Can't you simply swap them around as i mentioned to John?

AS to Polar scope alignment, surely its better than best guess through the open bore?

I can only say that even an "almost" aligned PA scope on my avx + c8 doesn't give me a satisfactory PA. ASPA always gets it tighter. I can now get 30 sec subs without star trails. With a f6.3 reducer attached i can push it a little higher.

ASPA no doubt will enter my life one day very soon, sounds like a royal pain at the start.

I was lucky if i could get 5 sec subs when i first started using ASPA. But that was before i understood the routine and didn't know to pick calibration stars as close to the area i wanted to image as possible. It's not really that bad once you've gotten used to it..

Archived