SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus & Mars: A Lovers Dance

orion25

If men are from Mars and women from Venus, a lovely dance will be taking place this first week in October. The two planets will be in conjunction in the pre-dawn sky, being within the field of telescopic view on Thursday and Friday mornings (less than 1/4 degree apart on Thursday and about a half-degree on Friday). A great visual and photographic opportunity!
Here is a conjunction of Venus and Neptune that I photographed recently:large.58793e58c7360_ASTRONOMY-VENUSNEPTUNE(ZOOMCAPTION)1-12-17.jpg.3894a9cb2d80496c851325e6d56b2f3a.jpg

I look forward to seeing Venus and Mars together. Should make an awesome couple!

Clear skies,
Reggie

I see Neptune is coming along to steal her away so Venus will file for a divorce by Christmas and she will want half of his orbit and all of Deimos.... what an old synic I am ? On the positive side what a lovely romantic post. I too have been looking at Venus and Mars together this morning and they are indeed a beautiful sight.

16 hours ago, Pig said:

I see Neptune is coming along to steal her away so Venus will file for a divorce by Christmas and she will want half of his orbit and all of Deimos.... what an old synic I am ? On the positive side what a lovely romantic post. I too have been looking at Venus and Mars together this morning and they are indeed a beautiful sight.

Haha, clever interpretation, Pig :p Yes, I am a romantic at heart. Don't forget to look at the lovely couple through your scope on Thursday and Friday mornings.

I congratulate you, Reggie. You're the first one to photograph Neptune in such a way(?) as to capture it's "Icy-Neptune Blue" colour! I've seen many images taken by many people, but that's the first time I've seen the tell-tale colour captured. Nice going!

That colour is unique in the stars, and how I'm certain I could easily pick Neptune out of a crowd of candidates without needing a chart - except to get me into the immediate proximity, of course. :p

Thanks, my Brother!

Dave

23 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I congratulate you, Reggie. You're the first one to photograph Neptune in such a way(?) as to capture it's "Icy-Neptune Blue" colour! I've seen many images taken by many people, but that's the first time I've seen the tell-tale colour captured. Nice going!

That colour is unique in the stars, and how I'm certain I could easily pick Neptune out of a crowd of candidates without needing a chart - except to get me into the immediate proximity, of course. :p

Thanks, my Brother!

Dave

Wado, Dave! I was a bit surprised that Neptune's hue came out so well myself. It's one of my favorite planetary shots, along with this one of Mars and Uranus:

large.59d54e607f136_ASTRONOMY-MARSURANUS(PRIMEFOCUS)2-26-17LABELS.jpg.1ad88543b37ff9ae067cc5f3963142db.jpg

9 hours ago, goodricke1 said:

21 arc-minutes separation at 5.32 UT this morning, Oct 5. Venus 140 million miles distant, Mars 230 million miles and sigma Leonis 1,200 million million miles -

n9INIL.jpg

That is beyond beautiful!

• orion25 changed the title to Venus & Mars: A Lovers Dance

Archived