Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars

SteelRat

Still playing around with my new praktica, took a pic of my binoculars. The weather has presented yet another opportunity for 'show n tell' so here they are. My WA 10s in the middle that I use the most are from the Zagorsk plant, the 12x45s and much older 8x30s and 4x20s are all Kazan. Recently a pair of the little 4x jobbies went for absolute stupid money on fleabay but they did have their original box;

8397_normal.jpeg

(click pic to make big)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love those gold ones. Very bling bling.

That must be the light from yonder window. Heheheh GOLD BINS? Yup that would be bling :D But these are an ugly khaki with nasty camouflage leatherette ensemble. They are a heavy pair of 10s though weighing in at 1 kilo... gold underneath perhaps? :( ;

post-13013-133877346464_thumb.jpg

There's some good old bins about. Mine aren't exactly antique, the K 12s I got last year to replace my Z 12x40s are quite young from 1994, the 4s from 1973, and the 8's are from 1971. The Zagorsk WA 10s I bought to replace my 7x50s from the same factory. They're such a cracking bino to use.

Still not got a pair of 15s yet Dave or 20s for that matter - can't imagine it'll happen any time soon yet but my old homebuilt parallel mount is at the ready just in case :D ;

post-13013-133877346474_thumb.jpg

I have had the same 8x30's as you since, well as long as I can remember!

Mine are very battered though and have been all over the world. They are the only bins I know of which are truly tough. a few years ago my daughter dropped them from the battlements of Scarborough castle :shock: :crybaby: .

They hit every rock on the way down and got plenty of new dents but didn't even loose collimation :D .

I love them and 8x really is 'my' magnification.

Luke

I have had the same 8x30's as you since, well as long as I can remember!

I love them and 8x really is 'my' magnification

Yeah the 8's are good alrounders and bombproof like the other russian bins. I've used my ???2 8x30s at night for skyscanning too. To save them getting 'commandeered' I got the wife a pair. They are a quite new (1984 :D ) pair of ???5 8s.

The 4x20's must give you a clear and bright view of the stars?

I've used them a couple of times at night last year or so and they're not bad IIRC. Lots of comets round the edges though and with the other bins to hand the little 4s were not going to get used much sans daylight.

They're a lovely little bino though. They have a ridiculous ammount of near focus (I can focus on my toes whilst sat down) so pretty good for close ups of whatever wildlife visiting our small garden. Even in their hard leather case they fit in my coat pocket - handy. At £7 there was no way this completist wasn't going have em :D

A pair went on fleabay for £122 recent - they were a year newer than mine though :(

They are only Zumhell Super Tachyons 25x100s... they aren't a very good pair but were cheap.

I bought them to scan the skies for targets when I used to try and image with my ETX105.

I added the RDF as it makes life easier... The DIY parallel mount and home made tripod are pretty well essential as they are very heavy :shock:

I also have plans to add a Meade Mysky to the setup for object location assistance...yes I bought one keeps visitors happy for a few mins when they come to have a look through the scope or bins...

Billy...

8478_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

like that :D

I use a fishing "bank" lounger as it has individually adjustable sprung legs with mud feet on it and also doesnt mind getting soaked with dew...

The bins will also hover just above the ground...

Its made of 25x25x3mm aluminium box section..

Thr tripod was just knocked up from scrap steel bar I had lying around has 10mm bolts as feet for leveling.

All pivots on a brasss bush that Iturned up on the lathe...

And I use a Manfroto Pan tilt swivel head to mount the bins.

Billy...

8478_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

like that :D

I use a fishing "bank" lounger as it has individually adjustable sprung legs with mud feet on it and also doesnt mind getting soaked with dew...

The bins will also hover just above the ground...

Its made of 25x25x3mm aluminium box section..

Thr tripod was just knocked up from scrap steel bar I had lying around has 10mm bolts as feet for leveling.

All pivots on a brasss bush that Iturned up on the lathe...

And I use a Manfroto Pan tilt swivel head to mount the bins.

Billy...

What are you looking at in daylight up there Billy? The Moon perhaps? :D

And who belongs that nice looking shed in the foreground?

Ron. :(

Archived