Low profile Allen head UNC bolts..?

LightBucket

4 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Thanks, 

Perfect but almost £9 for 5 bolts....but looks like I might have to pay it.. ?

You didn't ask for a cheap source..... :icon_biggrin:

I found those with a 30 second Google search. If you look around you might get a cheaper source. Grampian Fasteners, for example.

39 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

No, they are countersunk version, with the sloped underside...

your pictured ones look about right, are the heads around 3mm in thickness, as it looks like it..? :)

1 hour ago, ronin said:

Sort of copying Wookie's post these are I suppose "flatter":

Button Allen Head

Actually may get a pack or two myself, have a use for them.

If you go to Ebay and search for: 1/4" UNC allen bolts

you get just over 4000 options, and that is with UK only specified.

Yes I have some of those, the heads are too wide to fit the gap on the Losmandy plate fastening points, they have to be ground down around the edge...I need them to be exactly as I showed in the above picture with 3mm thick heads...

thanks for all the input... :)

Hi Lightbucket,

I know everyone loves to buy off the Bay / online but have a look online for a fastener shop or engineers suppliers. All reasonably sized towns have them.

I always pop into my local one for ones and twos of all different sized screws and bolts. They think I am a bit mad (maybe ?) as I generally never get more than 4 or 5 items at a time while others are in buying bags of fasteners. The good ones stock imperial sizes - UNC, UNF ETC., and they are a damn sight cheaper than the ones people have helpfully linked to.

As I am on my phone I am unable see where you are located so can't advise more.

Good luck in your search.

I've used these guys a few times.  https://shop4fasteners.co.uk/

Ok you'll have to buy a box of 50 or 100 but for example a box of 100  1/4" UNC x1" long £5.78 +vat isn't bad.

https://shop4fasteners.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/98522/s/socket-head-cap-screws-self-colour-1-4-20-unc-x-1/category/3949/

I couldn't see low profile socket cap screws in UNC on their website, but it may be worth a call to see if they get them in.

If you cannot find a replacement easily, see if a larger headed screw could be cut down on a lathe. Alternatively, does it have to have a hex fitting, would a slot not be a suitable alternative? In which case anyone with a lathe and 1/4 whit/UNC die could make one from scratch. A nice brass one perhaps.

I am sure that someone on SGL  will be happy to help ( I've got a lathe and 1/4 whit die:smiley:, so have a number of others).

Nigel

Archived