Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kelling Heath imaging strategy - opinion please

michaelmorris

I've finally got my new imaging rig (sort of) set up and running.  I've switched from a DSLR to an Atik 460 EX with a narrowband and RGB filters.  My skies at home are relatively light polluted, so narrowband imaging is likely to be more successful than RGB imaging from my back garden observatory.  

I'm off to the dark skies of Kelling Heath star party in a 3 weeks and my plan is to take advantage of the dark skies and concentrate on collecting RGB and luminance data for non-narrowband targets and/or RGB and luminance data for later combination for narrowband data I collect from home.

Does this sound like a sensible strategy?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Luminance should be good enough to get at home although there may be some gradients, same with the ha filter but a lot less gradients, best to find what target your interested in and find what colour band might be the weekest than blast that with the better seeing conditions of kelling. 

That sounds like a good plan Michael.  Though every target varies.  

I find that LP is so bad at home (suburbs of London) that even NB is only possible on some targets and often need to go to Kelling (or similar) even for NB images.  Wizard Nebula for instance.  Ha was OKish at home but Oii and Sii were dire. Went to Kelling with same kit and got some lovely data in NB. 

Carole 

Archived