Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10 minute astro fix

John

Loads of clouds tonight but in the gaps the stars looked lovely. I needed a quick astro-fix so I grabbed my 11x70 binoculars and stepped outside for a few minutes of hand held fun.

Had to just "point and shoot" where the gaps were but still got some rather nice views:

- The "Sword Handle" double cluster (old favorite in all instruments)

- Messier 15, the splendid (and ancient) globular cluster

- Messier 71, the fainter and more diffuse globular in Sagitta

- Messier 27, the Dumbbell Nebula - easy when you know where !

- Had a go at the nova in Scutum but a "no show" in the binoculars

- Messier 11, the Wild Duck cluster - nice rich patch of light

- Star clouds through the length of Cygnus - always good to browse with bins

- Messier 31 and a glimpse of Messier 32 , those Andromeda galaxies

That was it - short and sweet :icon_biggrin:

Maybe another go later, when the clouds break up again ?. Hope so - nothing on TV :rolleyes2:

I had to get out tonight as well. Going a bit stir crazy with no observing for more than a week now. No rain here yet but it is forecast in the next couple of hours.

I had a look at the Andromeda galaxy too. I could see M 32 but not M 110.

Wow! Congratulations! No bad at all for a cloudy sky! 

I checked the sky about ten times this evening but only Altair, Deneb, and Vega were visible behind high clouds. Ten minutes ago Cassiopeia was the only constellation free of clouds, but I'm off to bed now. Hopefully tomorrow with the dob! :)

Cross my fingers for a clear weekend in the UK!

Very nice John. I enjoyed your descriptive tour of some of your favs.      I felt as though I was out there myself.     The skies here were clear last night too,  unfortunately, both the wife and me have been down with a nasty bug of some sort for a week or two now, and very low energy levels still persist. Seems it may be a while before recovery, so your report cheered a bit.

Archived