Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meteror letdown

Travelled up to Glencoe on Friday till Monday to see the meteor shower but ended up only getting two hours of clear sky the whole weekend. Only managed to see two meteors alltho the first one was huge, it travelled about 40/50 degrees but on the whole it was a big let down :(

That's a shame having gone to the effort to get some dark, although Scottish weather is always prone to be unpredictable!

I must say that I've only seen a few this year, normally I see more even just from my garden for a few hours.

I too went out to country. After a beautiful, hot Saturday day, good for BBQ and swimming in a lake - gale with hailstorm... Trees falling, cars damaged by nearly egg sized hail ? It was raining so hard, that it literally felt as if someone poured a bucket of water over me just as I stepped out of the car. Had to get several yards from the car to the doors and got soaking wet. Good BBQ though.

Saw one meteor on Friday or Thursday. And several last year. 

I went out for about 40 minutes on Saturday - the skies were about 30/40% clear, so did have to keep altering my observing position to match. 

I packed it in when the "Devils searchlight" rose, but up until then, I counted 9 (2 sporadics) meteors in the 40 minutes. Only one was a really good one, not as good as the one that KBMack described, but still a good spot. 

I have to admit that I found sitting in the chair looking up, no kit to worry about, really quite peaceful and refreshing. 

Cheers

Ant 

HI was clouded out on the 12th but saw a couple of good ones the next night sat in the holiday cottage garden.

Sometimes it's not what you see that counts, but the relaxation, peace and ease of use of the mark 1 eyeballs that counts, as said above.

Yeah apart from the let down it was good to get out and do a bit of recce. Lot`s of thing`s going on up there at some of the campsites like watersports, fishing, quad biking and of course the ski-ing in winter when it come`s. Deffo be going back.

Archived