NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Field of View, Canon 1100d and SPC900NC

Errol

I tried  to calculate the FOV for both my dslr and guide-camera as listed above. However, the results I get using CCDCalc show a larger FOV for my dslr than guide-cam, which seems counterintuitive. what am I doing wrong?

Image Train  - Canon 1100D on Skywatcher ED80 (Note that I am not using a focal reducer at the moment)

Guide Train - Philips SPC900NC on Skywatcher ST80

1100D+ED80.jpg

SPC900+ST80.jpg

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

This is what the FLO Astronomy Tools FOV calculator gives.

You've got ST80 in one and ED80 on tother.

Dave

5984529849c5e_ED80FOV.PNG.93ed1dbcbf4ed998eba336dda08ab394.PNG

Thanks Dave, and this is mine. So they are roughly the same, except perhaps for the array size.

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 13.03.12.png

3 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

HI Errol

I'm not sure you are doing anything wrong.  The DSLR has a much larger chip, so I would expect it to have a larger field of view.  Best thing would be use the FLO Astronomy Tool 'Field of View' calculator.

http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

Thanks for the link Michael that's a handy calculator. If I had known about it yesterday it would have saved me a lot of trouble trawling for data on the chips in the Canon and SPC900.

Cheers

Errol

Archived