SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Perseids in Shropshire? Nice dark sky, astro-friendly campsite

Just a reminder for you Shropshire/West Midlands folks, I'm arranging a low-key weekend of Perseid watching and general astronomy antics in Shropshire. Six quid a night, dark sky, friendly campsite. The details and some pictures are on my blog in the sig. Everyone welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Some dappled cloud here but a fair bit of clear sky. Spent an hour sitting in the garden sipping a glass of malt with my daughter. Saw eight including a couple of really bright ones. Lovely evening but relatively quiet for Perseids. 

5 minutes ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

Thanks Beulah. Between the ten of us we saw 102 meteorites in two hours. I saw three stunners, very bright golden objects leaving smoke trails, fantastic!

What's NELM?

Wow, testament to how dark the skies were..  :) Already looking forward to next year's show...

NELM is Naked Eye Limiting Magnitude - basically the faintest stars that can be seen by dark-adapted eyes at the Zenith on a moonless night. Of course, this is depending on one's eyesight! :D

Archived