Narrowband

Image Change Detection Software?

Anybody know of a piece of software that could detect the change the occurred in an image? I'm doing a project to see if I can find an asteroid or comet without any prior knowledge of where said asteroid/comet is.

I'm not really sure where to look for something like this, so any help would be appreciated.

Also, I would like something that could run on Mac. But I'll run it on bootcamp if there is no other options.

Thanks.

To help identify variable stars and similar changing objects I use a solved image (astrometry.net). This provides a accurate reference frame for the image which can then be "blinked" against a detailed star map - I use the features of Cartes du Ciel.

Any "new" star - asteroid or comet will show during the blink as having no matching star image on the underlying star chart. You can set the search limit magnitude to make things easier...

Hope that helps.

CdC_blink1.JPG

CdC_blink2.JPG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Merlin66 said:

To help identify variable stars and similar changing objects I use a solved image (astrometry.net). This provides a accurate reference frame for the image which can then be "blinked" against a detailed star map - I use the features of Cartes du Ciel.

Any "new" star - asteroid or comet will show during the blink as having no matching star image on the underlying star chart. You can set the search limit magnitude to make things easier...

Hope that helps.

CdC_blink1.JPG

CdC_blink2.JPG

Interesting idea, this actually removes the need to take multiple pictures of the same area of the sky, right? 

Thanks, I’ll try it.

I think in order to have your discovery verifiable by the MPC etc, you will need to submit images and precise astrometry of your object.

Also, blinking different images is how nova outbursts, supernovae etc are discovered, so, you really need to take images. This isn't difficult however.

Stu

• Thanks 1

Astrometrica does the job ....

I found that it took me quite a while to get used to how it works .... but it is worthwhile once you understand how to use it.

I have been tracking some faint asteroids recently and found out that my scope & camera needs to have exposures 500 sec and upwards in order to easily spot objects fainter than mag16.

Mike

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stu Todd said:

I think in order to have your discovery verifiable by the MPC etc, you will need to submit images and precise astrometry of your object.

Also, blinking different images is how nova outbursts, supernovae etc are discovered, so, you really need to take images. This isn't difficult however.

Stu

I'm not really planning on trying to discover any, that is likely out of the reach of my equipment. This is just a little project/experiment I'm doing to learn about this kind of astronomy.