NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Explore Scientific ed80 or SW ed 80

I can't decide which telescope to buy either Explore Scientific ed80 witch has FPL-51 glass and is a triplet (here is the link:https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-telescopes/explore-scientific-ed-apo-80mm-f6-essential-refractor-telescope-with-hex-focus.html), or the Skywatcher ed 80 which has FPL-53 glass and is a doublet (here is the link: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-ds-pro-outfit.html). Which is better a telescope that is a doublet and has FPL-53 glass or a telescope that is a triplet and has FPL-51 glass. I would be using the telescope mainly for astrophotography.

I have the Explore Scientific 80 and I like it a lot.

I would recommend swapping the finder shoe for a Synta type and getting a padded plastic box to hold it.

I fitted a Skywatcher remote focusser but it did need a bit of Engineering to do it.

David

Both sw telescopes I have owned -ed80 and 130pds- have had one flaw; the focuser. Given your alternative triplet with a proper 2 1/2 inch built-like-a-tank r&p focuser, I think you could guess my advice. Of course, YMMV and whilst my ed80 gave stars with blue halos, you may get a good one. Unfortunately, I don't know what the ES triplet is like optically, but I use their reflectors and they're first rate. HTH.

I can't comment on the SW for AP, but I had the older ES triplet, which I believe is the same cell as the current one, and it really was excellent for the money. I din't use it for visual, but can't imagine that being an issue.

Hey all,

If you're looking for a great 80mm triplet, I would go with the Orion ED80cf (http://www.telescope.com/mobileProduct/Telescopes/Refractor-Telescopes/Refractor-Optical-Tube-Assemblies/Orion-ED80T-CF-Triplet-Apochromatic-Refractor-Telescope/pc/1/c/10/sc/346/101422.uts)

The optical quality is astounding and there's a great review of it here:

http://arksky.org/smf/index.php?topic=1930.0

The Orion ED80cf is out of my budget. And I don't want to order from America because I would need to pay tax and customs and that would cost me cca. 37% more then what the price is.

10 hours ago, RayD said:

The triplet has better colour correction for AP. 

10 hours ago, Petar b said:

Yes I know that but it has fpl-51 glass.

A triplet with FPL-51 is quite capable of outperforming an FPL-53 doublet. Having said that, the SW ED80 is the stalwart of many AP'ers.

It's more about the figuring of the galss and the extra correction that the third lens allows. I don't think they can be measured against each other on specs alone, as with a lot of things, experience of both is required to make judgement.

10 hours ago, Petar b said:

Yes I know that but it has fpl-51 glass.

I really don't think there is an awful lot in it Petar.  I think a lot is also down to the quality of the OTA itself (baffling etc.), and of course the glass.  Both of these "should" perform fine, and anecdotally people have reported good results with both.  I often see reports of the SW with great images, and likewise with with ES.

There has been a couple of good threads on CN regarding this, and the difference in real terms appears to be so changeable across manufacturers as to be almost impossible to determine.

I can say from experience that the ES 80, with FCD-1 (FPL-51 equivalent) performs very well for AP.  I suspect exactly the same scope just replacing the FPL-51 with FPL-53 would perform better, but I doubt that this same logic could apply to a totally different design of tube and layout (doublet).

On 8/2/2017 at 23:19, Petar b said:

I'm going to buy the Explore Scientific because it is a triplet and they give 10 year warranty. What corrector/reducer would you recomend.

I used my Hotech SCA one with mine, but that is a flattener only, and not a reducer.  ES also do their own one.  I have one but never used it, but I believe they are ok.  I believe several people use the TRED from TS Optics, but I have no experience if these.

I just preferred the SCA part of the Hotech, meaning it centres well and holds firm.

On 02/08/2017 at 09:30, RayD said:

....  I suspect exactly the same scope just replacing the FPL-51 with FPL-53 would perform better, but I doubt that this same logic could apply to a totally different design of tube and layout (doublet).

They may need to replace the mating elements as well as the ED one. The crucial thing for the performance of an ED doublet or triplet is that the refractive indexes of the glass elements used complement each other. FPL-51 has a different refractive index from FPL-53 so the refractive indexes of the mating elements may well need to be changed to get the best match and the best CA and SA surpression.

One has to assume that the onbjective designers take this into account in their optical design though.

Archived