Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unguided dithering via. ST-4 port on handset, possible?

Hi again,

I've started on DSLR AP recently and I am doing it on an EQ3-2 mount with the RA+DEC motor upgrade and the enhanced handset with an ST-4 port.

Im capturing using Backyard Nikon on my laptop and I would like to dither between light frames, but I am doing it unguided.

Reading up on the Backyard... forums it seems BYN does indeed support unguided Dithering, so that should be possible. What is unclear to me is if I can do it with the handset: enhanced-dual-axis-dc-motor-drive-for-eq3-2

My next question is, how would i connect my laptop to the ST-4 guider port? Using something like this: zwo-usb-to-st4-guider-adapter ??

Hope you can help me out, been searching forums for a good while now, and no clear answer to be found.. :)

Clear skies!

5 minutes ago, jjosefsen said:

I would like to dither between light frames

Hi. Sounds good. If you've got non dithered stacks working to your liking and the tracking is good enough to hold the stars during the exposure, then knock the mount a random amount NSEW after each frame using the hand controller (HC). You only need a 10 to 15 pixel movement so maybe set the HC on it's slowest slew? Don't forget to stack with an option which will take advantage of the dither. HTH.

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Hi. Sounds good. If you've got non dithered stacks working to your liking and the tracking is good enough to hold the stars during the exposure, then knock the mount a random amount NSEW after each frame using the hand controller (HC). You only need a 10 to 15 pixel movement so maybe set the HC on it's slowest slew? Don't forget to stack with an option which will take advantage of the dither. HTH.

Im sorry, I should have been more specific..

I was hoping to do it automatically so I don't have sit by the scope full time. ☺️

Archived