Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powering mini PC with 12v

40 minutes ago, AlistairW said:

Hello,

I am looking at the spec of this mini PC 

It says it runs on 12v DC. Would this be safe to connect up to a 12V car battery ?

Thanks

Alistair

MINIX_NEO_Z83-4_-_Spec_Sheet.jpg

Yes it should be fine.  Be careful as the power on a battery drops though as you can very quickly be at 11.5v, which on some units could cause problems, but in general terms you should be good to go.  I have a mini PC on my pier which runs on 12V, but obviously a fixed power supply, but I did run in on my LiPo pack when setting it up and it worked fine.

Slightly off topic, but mounting these externally when there are sub zero temps and dew to deal with make me wonder if they are really suitable for outdoor use. Anyone have any experience of running these on the OTA or similar?

I'd treat it in exactly the same way as I would using a laptop outside. The low temperatures are generally not a problem and waterproofing against dew/rain can be achieved easily with a suitable plastic container.

Jim

Archived