Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First night out with WO Star 71... Failure

Help!!!! 

Tonight was supposed to be the "first light" of my new toy, William Optics Star 71 II. Opened the scope, attached the Baader universal quick release (which crazy enough doesn't come with a screw to attach it to the scope but thank God I had something at home which I used and worked), went out, setup my mount, all gear out, scope attached, going to attach my ZWO ASI 8 Position FW to the scope and remembered that the FW has a female T2 thread whereas the scope terminates at a M48 male. Not to worry, I asked the vendor about this, my camera comes with a T2-M48 extender 2”diameter outside, 18.5mm length and with M48x0.75 threads in the end. Tried every adapter that I had but nothing would connect at the scope end :( I felt cheated tonight because first somewhat a clear night after such a long time and I couldn't do anything because of the crazy adapter fitting which I didn't have and had trusted the vendor with the information on that. 

Any one else have the same scope and same filter wheel? I know the size of the adapter but don't really know which one to buy. Would it be possible to point me at a link? 

Many thanks in advance

Its a bit hit & miss on some m48 threads really. Sometimes they go all the way on, sometimes they bind about halfway. Just make sure your M48 female thread is long enough to go all the way on the Star71 M48 thread.

Unfortunately, I cant help you with exactly which adaptor from where since I brought mine years ago and have long since forgotten where from. Probably best to hedge your bets and buy a couple of different ones.

5 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Its a bit hit & miss on some m48 threads really. Sometimes they go all the way on, sometimes they bind about halfway. Just make sure your M48 female thread is long enough to go all the way on the Star71 M48 thread.

Unfortunately, I cant help you with exactly which adaptor from where since I brought mine years ago and have long since forgotten where from. Probably best to hedge your bets and buy a couple of different ones.

Cheers Uranium for the prompt response. You would've thought that WO making such crazy thread would at least include a single common M48-T2 adapter with this scope. Ugh!  Unfortunately I'm skint after this purchase and only have the capacity to buy one and the correct adapter :)

Once upon a time, i got drunk on two pints of coke and bought a M48 to T2 adapter. Still can't remember why i did that but i found one lying around in my cabinet of "Stuff" while i was trying to find socks this morning lol .... i'm happy to say, the adapter fits in nicely. Cloudy or clear, i'll try to attach my camera tonight.

Thank you every for all your help on this :) you lot are amazing when it comes to helping each other out :)

Archived