Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Guided Image

blinky

Finally got a chance to try out my guiding setup last night. I went out at 9pm but it took my until around 1am to get it all working as expected! Turns out that the DSI does not like 5m extension cables...at all!!!

Anyway once setup I thought I would try a 5min exposure on M31, with a view to running a series of them if all went well.

Well as you will see below the 5m exposure went OK, I then setup a series of 3min ones and retired inside, set my mobile to wake me up in an hour.

1 hour later I went outside and dicovered that after 1 image clouds had moved in and spoilt the rest!

Anyway here is the 5min test shot I took, quite pleased with it. I think next time I will add the LPI filter in to the train to see if it removes the light pollution.

8155_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I have a Konika/Minolta 5D and its not too bad a bit noisy but quite good spectral response...

Heres an image from earlier in the year I took with a KM5D on a Sywatcher Equinoxe 66

8160_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Its a HDR processed image of stacks of 10,20,30,60 and 120s subs

I also have a Nikon D200 and Modded 350D which has yet to see any action...

Apologies for blinky for an off topic pic in response to a dslr question...

Well thats good for a first go at guiding, my setup took quite some time to get stable, and it still drfits a bit at F10.

Are you going to Kelling? If so, come have a look at my EOS clip CLS filter, it gets rid of all that LP and fits seamlessly into the train.

Look forward to some nice long exposures from you now then, if we ever get a clear night again.......

TJ

I have a Konika/Minolta 5D and its not too bad a bit noisy but quite good spectral response...

Heres an image from earlier in the year I took with a KM5D on a Sywatcher Equinoxe 66

8160_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Its a HDR processed image of stacks of 10,20,30,60 and 120s subs

I also have a Nikon D200 and Modded 350D which has yet to see any action...

Apologies for blinky for an off topic pic in response to a dslr question...

I took this one with a 7D earlier this year on an 8 inch Newt. They don't seem to do too badly do they. As you say though, a bit of noise there. Apologies to Blinky too.

8161_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Well done on getting the guiding going Craig. :thumbright:

The DSI camera draws nearly 500mA which is the limit of a USB connection can supply. This also applies to most powered hubs and this current limit is shared across all the ports. When using a long cable and drawing near to the maximum current the voltage may drop too low at the camera end and cause the camera to malfunction. The DSI camera should be connected to its own powered hub or active usb cable with nothing else connected to it (or connected directly to the PC's USB port).

Regards

Kevin

Thats a very good start with the guiding. I have failed at the guiding but think I have overloaded the mount

so bought a ed80 pro. Hopefully I can achieve something like your result whe I eventually get clear skys!

NC

I use a powered USB2.0 hub I bought form maplins it came with a 1A supply but the blurb that came with it reckoned you could up the PSU if you need to.

I use it with a 5V 4A psu (maplin again) and run the DSI IIC, DSI 1C, GPUSB and other usb devices all at the same time with the hub mounted on the pier about 3m away from the laptop without any problems.

Billy...

Archived