New Focusing Aid

George

Other "beta" testers that have talked to me about them in the past if they are on the list of masks taht i already have then please send me you adresses by PM so I can get the masks packed up and depending on cost and what PO say tomorrow i'll get them on their way.

Larger ones will be to late as i wont get then till Monday night firm is then shut til the new year.

Inital test masks are supplied flat , lightly oiled and un-painted they will need degreasing a light rub over with wet and dry to key the surface . the tabs bending to grip the OTA (tabs are designed to bend easily at the right point and finally a coat of matt or satin black spray paint

Billy...

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

forgot to add - i dont have a price form the manufacturer yet but his top and bottom estimates should be "appealing"...

anyone takign part in the testing gets them for cost + shipping once i know what that is - I will confidentially share the quote with those involved and you'll knowe the shipping costs . If you think its to expensive or they dont work just send them back...

Billy..

Should have a better idea in the new year...

First batch is a trial all dimensional data has been supplied by other forum members so I hope they have got it right...

Could do with santas elves here at the moment as I am packing and addressing ready to meet tomorrows posting deadline...

I have a good few ED80 and 66 masks left (they fit the WO and SW scopes) and a few WO ZS80

Billy...

OK this is whats been shipped... All royal mail 1st class packet so hopefully you'll get them before Crimbo...

Ok the 10 PM per hour limit means rather than send you PM's I have put it all in here...

Friday (5.00 pm)....

Starflyer WO ZS80

Ford Prefect SW 190 MN

Beamish 66

Saturday (9.00 am)......

Steve (FLO) 66, SW ED80, WO ZS80 WO M72

Reggie 6SE, 66

Helen 66

Celescope SW EQ120

George SW ED80

Rob H WO ZS80

MartinB SW EQ120, 66, SW ED80

SteveL SW 190 MN , 66, SW ED80

Barkis SW 190 MN

Steppenwolf SW200 , SW ED80

The total postage for that lot was just under £20 :( and a few quid for parcel tape etc...

To reiterate these are....

Mild steel prototypes supplied "oiled" and unfolded.

Degrease the mask and give it a light rub with either wire wool or wet and dry to key the surface.. then degrease again..

Fold the fixing tabs over to grip the OTA or fixed Dewshield - do this slowly to allow the metal to stretch and don't bent them back and fore too much - this is a trial of this feature and is a compromise to make it easy to do without tools but maybe needs beefing up....

give the mask a few light coats of spray paint ... if you want to do a proper job then prime it first before a coat of Matt or satin black - try to avoid buildup on the edges of the slots and dint use smoothrite etc...

Perfect focus is when the moving line is centered on the "X" when your way out of focus you will see an image of the mask and this will snap fairly quickly to the "X" with the moving line...

These have been produced with Dimensions supplied by forum members (except the WO M72, which I have here) please let me know any issues that you have so they can be rectified in the designs...

Sorry for the delays... and especially to the guys with the larger scopes 8,10 and 12 and 14" masks are hopefully being produced on Monday .. there is an option for SD before crimbo but obviously at higher shipping....

The only way I could get them out to you all before crimbo was to let you lot do the "finishing" - originally i should have had these before Rally GB at the start of the month and I would have done the finishing...look on the bright side though you wont have to cut all those slots :D

Hopefully you will be amazed with how easy and accurately it is to focus using them ...

Oh almost forgot... its also a test of the post office and whether sandwiching between two pieces of normal corrugated cardboard is sufficient as more robust packaging will cost a lot more and put shipping prices up as well...

Merry Crimbo to you all

Billy (Peter) ...

I see Altair Astro are going to start selling the Kendrick Pavel "approved" masks in the new year...Advert on P80 of January AN...

Pity he didn't patent it and all the info is in the public domain....glad I have been posting about it for a few months as well as and publishing free templates for a number of months .... :(

Billy...

I see Altair Astro are going to start selling the Kendrick Pavel "approved" masks in the new year...Advert on P80 of January AN...

Pity he didn't patent it and all the info is in the public domain....glad I have been posting about it for a few months as well as and publishing free templates for a number of months .... :lol:

Billy...

Mask-ed bandit then is it!! :(:D:lol:

Jeff.

We were introduced to it by George in this thread way back early September. Billy took it by the throat from then on, and we are benefitting from it.

I would love to see that Russian guy get some reward. Whether he had any Idea what he was starting, I don't know, but it's looking like donations is all he will get, and probably very few at that.. I would do so, but I would need to know where exactly my money was going, because there are some thieving gits about the Internet.

Ron.

OK peeps the 8-14" masks arrived this morning hot off the laser... quite lterally... Posting if you want them pre-crimbo is £5 to £10 which is roughly double the normal 1st class rate....

Heres the range of Sizes from Robs 14" masks down to the ickle 66mmm ones...

11139_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Any of the testers wanting pre crimbo shipping please get in touch ASAP as they have to be packed and in the PO by 12 noon tomorrow...

No extras of these bigger ones I am affraid so its only the pre-discussed ones 8,10 12 and 14" SCT also got the GSO 8" Astrograph ones here for MartinB and TJ .... and a few others

Billy...

Billy...

OK its been a while so stick with me...outgoing PM limits mean I cant get in touch with you all by PM...

So if your on the list and want them before crimbo then I can send them SD up until Tuesday 12 am

I have....

Meade LX10" 2 Pairs of F6.3 & F10 ? & ?

Meade LX12" 2 Pairs of F6.3 & F10 - Jeff RV and Ron (Barkis)

Meade LX14" 1 Pair of F6.3 and F10 - Know they are For Rob Hodgkinson...

Skywatcher250 Steppenwolf , (George & ?)

GSO 8" F4 x 3 - MartinB , TJ & ?

WO 102 x 2 - NickH & ?

WO110 x 2 - ? & ?

Tis a little hectic here at the moment...and my 8" SCT is feeling awfully inadequate ahvign been dwarfed by the 14" masks

Billy...

Unbelievably speedy delivery, mine arrived safely this morning, packaging held up just fine :D

Off out to get primer and matt black spray paint now, would IPA be okay to degrease it with?

:lol: cough !!

Unbelievably slow delivery, mine has yet to arrive safely any morning............., it's only up the road in Yorkshire :(

Perhaps t'row

Archived